Oset for an adult (big kid)- Lithium battery.

Good morning guys. a note for any adults or big kids considering an Oset for them self. 

I have followed the development of the Oset bike for some years now, mostly with a tear in my eye thinking "where were these when i was 8". However, after seeing videos of some guys who are obviously not 8-12 years old, doing some incredible stuff on them i figured i needed one. 3 months in and i am glad i did. Now, i am not a teenager, not even in my 20's, and i am nowhere near the stated weight limit so obviously the moment i stood on it the warranty was pretty much gone. But that really isn't an issue. these are so well built. The only modifications i have had to carry out are more in terms of geometry to suit a 5'11" rider including bars, stem and rear shock. 

Like most, the limited riding time provided by the standard battery pack become boring quite quickly so i have found a company based in London that has built me two lithium ion battery packs with built in BMS. After a small amount of prototyping these packs are astonishing! Weighing under 7 kg, giving over 20ah and 54 volts at full charge. 

So, my advice to anyone in the position i was and considering an Oset for a new toy is to go and get one. Very low maintenance, zero pollution, no noise and with the upgraded battery, a full day of fun too.

I am not sure if posting the name of the company that built me the battery is against forum rules if someone could confirm either way and ill put the company details up.

12 minutes ago, kingkopity said:

I am not sure if posting the name of the company that built me the battery is against forum rules if someone could confirm either way and ill put the company details up.

No issues in naming the company unless you represent that company (which happens surprisingly often) or you are receiving backhanders for promoting that company (which also happens). Guilty parties always get caught.

2 hours ago, andy said:

No issues in naming the company unless you represent that company (which happens surprisingly often) or you are receiving backhanders for promoting that company (which also happens). Guilty parties always get caught.

Thanks Andy. No backhanders unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, sicoferapi said:

Yeah, I'm looking for a decent battery for a 72v motor ? I keep emailing companies but no replies at all. Can you pm there details to me if thats possible on here ?

The company is BGA reworking. 

http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/ 

Although i would call Jimmy at BGA personally on  0208 361 1790. 

As soon as you mention Oset battery he will know what your talking about. 

I'm within the weight limit at 165 lbs and 5' 8". I made a 1 1/2" spacer for my bars. I rode my first trials and first event in 5 years on Saturday. It was a combination vintage and modern event. I rode the 3 line which is equal to novice here in the states. It was 8 sections ridden 4 times. Still learning the bike so my scores weren't very good. I did the whole trials with one light going out on the only high speed part of the loop on the last two loops. My bicycle computer said I rode 4.2 miles. I am considering checking with Oset how much they want for another battery.

I bought the Oset 24.0R for the wife as she struggles with her bad knee to kick start a bike. Oset were wanting £820 plus p&p for the Original 20ah Lipo. I contacted BOOST BIKES and they qouted me £725 + £25 p&p for a 25ah Lipo. You can buy a bike for that, but £525 is certainly a better buy.

17 hours ago, oldtrialer said:

I'm within the weight limit at 165 lbs and 5' 8". I made a 1 1/2" spacer for my bars. I rode my first trials and first event in 5 years on Saturday. It was a combination vintage and modern event. I rode the 3 line which is equal to novice here in the states. It was 8 sections ridden 4 times. Still learning the bike so my scores weren't very good. I did the whole trials with one light going out on the only high speed part of the loop on the last two loops. My bicycle computer said I rode 4.2 miles. I am considering checking with Oset how much they want for another battery.

Thats on the standard SLA batteries? They weren't bad at all. I found that if i was very efficient with the throttle i could ride for most of the day, but now i can ride all day, trails or trials with no power issues at all. Better still, the entire pack weighs the same as one single 12v SLA battery, charges a little quicker and has almost 3 times the ah capacity and has a "quoted" 3000 discharge cycles. The price seemed a bargain.

1 hour ago, johnsandywhite said:

I bought the Oset 24.0R for the wife as she struggles with her bad knee to kick start a bike. Oset were wanting £820 plus p&p for the Original 20ah Lipo. I contacted BOOST BIKES and they qouted me £725 + £25 p&p for a 25ah Lipo. You can buy a bike for that, but £525 is certainly a better buy.

I did initially contact boost bikes about a lipo as they seem to be quite popular with the Oset customers. But after speaking to Jimmy at BGA i decided i wanted to go the Li-on route. Add to that, the entire team are an absolute pleasure to deal with, and in terms of product knowledge these guys are second to none.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldtrialer said:

That was with the Oset 20ah Lipo.

If i had seen that available here in the UK it would definitely have been a consideration, Though, since i have owned the bike the Oset online parts catalogue has been being updated. God knows what its being updated with at 2 months and counting.