Beta 4T Fuel Tap Solenoid?

johnnyboxer

No problems starting Beta 4t Rev4 or Evo.  You could replace the electric tap with a standard item. Thread pitch is 10mm x 1.00 The only reason I could see doing this is that the stock tap quit working and they are fairly expensive.

If a carb floods on a 4 stroke and depending upon the state of the inlet valves (fully closed or partially open), and depending upon the inclination of the carb relative to the inlet manifold (eg when you've fallen off the carb may well be uphill of the inlet manifold) it is quite possible that fuel can leak into the cylinder.  This can give rise to two problems.  Fuel leaking past the rings to contaminate the lubricating oil, or possibly even accumulating in the cylinder and causing a hydraulic lock where the engine won't turn over but excess pressure on the kickstart could lead to a bent con rod.

A solenoid operated fuel tap overcomes either possibility because, as oni nou says, it shuts off when the engine stops.

I know all the old 4 strokes had normal fuel taps but I doubt if they had made a solenoid version back then they would have been very reliable!

• Like 1