240 engine rebuild

DAN696

Hello I've got the cases together with your advice thank you and everything spins free and nice but I think I'm missing a shim from behind the clutch basket. There's a shim against the bearing then a circlip should there be another shim that the needle rollers run against rather than against the circlip. If there is does anyone know the dimensions 

Cheers Dan 

Yes there is a shim/spacer there - look at pages 1&2 N5 in the parts book. The earlier gearboxes had a spacer then the circlip and a counterbored spacer/shim that fits over it, the later gearboxes had no circlip and just one spacer. I dont have dimensions I am afraid, the I/D and O/D will be the same as the inner spacer and the counterbore will be to clear the circlip, the thickness is the missing dimension. Bill Pye or Bob Wright might have one....

How thick is the inner spacer? On page N5/2 it looks like the single spacer is 3.40 to 3.54mm thick - the total thickness of the two spacers on the earlier gearbox would be the same as the single spacer.

38 minutes ago, DAN696 said:

So the outer spacer is counterbored to go over the circlip and come up against the inner spacer/ shim and the overall thickness of the two spacers is 3.4 to 3.54

The 3.4 to 3.54 is my interpretation of the information in the parts list (measuring the inner spacer might confirm this - I would expect it to be about half of (3.5 minus the circlip thickness)), otherwise - Yes.

Had a look today and inner spacer is about 1mm and I nicked the outside with a hacksaw so not hardened just waiting till I can get in a lathe at work now. Is there any I should be looking at when assembling the clutch