Pre-65 prices

bigplonker

Retired to France a few years back. Kept my old TES Greeves in the belief that I might one day ride again. Maybe the Talmag. Maybe the Scottish Pre-65. Maybe some classic French trial. Didn't happen though. Sold the bike and reluctantly accepted that my trials-riding days were over. Since then, as one does, I've been trawling the sales ads for interesting pre-65 and twinshock bikes, just out of curiosity. Seems that there are less and less good 'uns available, so more and more must be mothballed in old blokes' (and lassies') garages. And, crikey, how the prices have steadily risen over the last decade or two! Eight grand for a Cub. Ten grand for a 350 CCM. Fifteen grand for an HT5. Who buys these bikes and do they get ridden in trials or stashed away as investments? Spotted a gem yesterday in the 'Old Bike Mart'. Maurice Hocking's old 410 Matchless. Up for grabs at a smidgeon under thirteen. Last saw it advertised about ten years ago on eBay for six and a half (I think). So it's doubled in a decade. Lovely bike though. And a lovely bloke, Maurice. Anyways, I'll keep doing the lottery. Is anyone else amazed about these spiralling prices or is it just me being a doddery old git?    

It's the same with twin shocks especially Honda TL125, TLR, RTL, Bultaco, Montesa, Yamaha. They have gone up over a £1000 in a year and some twice that. Even the mediocre ones are being asked stupid amounts of money based on the rarity value of Merlin, Mecatecno etc.

Edited by johnsandywhite

I'm glad your still enjoying France,  I am looking for observers for a trial .. spring next year here in Sarlat. I will even provide you with a nice little runner to get you to your zone... Oh and as for prices, asking is one thing, getting is another. I do however agree it seems the prices of  the Spanish Marques are on the rise and not just the last Bultaco's.. perhaps people now fancy something other than a Fantic or Honda.

• Like 1

Have to agree that asking prices are one thing , selling prices another .

about once a year a 350 CCM will come on ebay at a ridiculous price , lots of watchers but no bidders nearly every time

if you own a CCM ,you don't have it to ride, { it stays in the shed }      -   but you have to tell everyone that you own one and how much you think its worth

• Like 3

Morning all, 

im jumping on this thread to ask about a couple of bikes I've half been offered. 

All I know at the moment is they are a pair of dot's I assume villers engine and they are in good condition, I would be looking to keep one and move the other along but no idea how much I should be offering as I don't want to do the guy over nor do I want to pay to much.

i know it's hard with out pictures but what should I be looking at? £1500-£2000 each or more? 

Basicly all I'm asking is a rough price for a dot in average condition. 

Thanks 

Rob

12 hours ago, martinsyderob said:

Morning all, 

im jumping on this thread to ask about a couple of bikes I've half been offered. 

All I know at the moment is they are a pair of dot's I assume villers engine and they are in good condition, I would be looking to keep one and move the other along but no idea how much I should be offering as I don't want to do the guy over nor do I want to pay to much.

i know it's hard with out pictures but what should I be looking at? £1500-£2000 each or more? 

Basicly all I'm asking is a rough price for a dot in average condition. 

Thanks 

Rob

Impossible to answer on such sparse information. Depends on the motor fitted. The forks fitted. Alloy or steel rims plus condition. What sort of shocks and condition. Then theres all the usuals chains sprockets tyres etc Does it run is the motor in need of a rebuild. Is electronic ignition fitted if so what sort. You will be lucky to get a pre 72 British Bike for under £2000 even a wreck is i.r.o. £1000. Need more info really. Could be worth £3 to 4000 depending on all the previous.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, I went over to take a look today but they weren't what I was after. 

Sorry for the lack of info earlier but that's all I had. I asked and you answered well with 3-4K the same I guess if you want a genuine gold star you ain't going with 5k 

thanks again for taking the time to reply. 

Rob

28 minutes ago, old trials fanatic said:

No prob just sorry i couldnt help more. Think if you were looking for a genuine gold star you would need in at least £15000 lol 

I was lucky enough to be offered a ride on a full on DBD34 Clubmans spec Goldie a couple of months back.An evening ride out to the owners club meet,the owner came along on his Rocket Gold Star replica. About 20 Goldies there, I think your estimate is a minimum,18 to 20 is probably closer. Funny old thing,I wonder how long they will hold their value,folk that know them and can look after them are mostly 70+ in years.I'm only 52 and only know one real enthusiast younger than me.

Really enjoyed the ride - once I got used to revving it to 5000 before changing gear !

• Like 1

Hi Jon, know what you mean re people being interested/capable of running Goldies etc but there's certainly no drop in price/demand of pre '31 or even pre'1914 bikes, and obviously there's not many riding now, that knew these bikes new ! I'd like to think that not everyone who buys an old bike is doing it purely as a static investment. I'm 4 yrs younger than you and ride a Venom and a flat tanker so there's still a few of us out there. I always find there's loads of interest at pub meets etc from younger riders, even if they think Velocette is a French company ( and I live 3 miles from Hall Green )

• Like 1

With some of the Classic Bike prices you do wonder if the market is being supported by enthusiasts or investor /  speculator type people,

or  people who are a bit of both . { I hope it is enthusiasts }

I can understand the interest & prices for  - Goldstar, Vincent, Brough Superior, Indian, etc. as they  were probably the best bikes in the era they were made,

and won championships & medals, world records etc.

But I am baffled by the prices for B.S.A.  powered CCMs ,

especially the Trials model , did anybody ever win a major Trials event / championship on one of those ?

I know the Moto Cross models never won a British or World championship { and got caught cheating with oversize engines at least once}

Brian, I think we just have to do what we can to keep it all going - whatever that is ! I've started a trials club where all of the old bikes - and more importantly riders will be made welcome.I've always been interested in anything to do with machines of most types,from steam onwards.Last weekend I attended the village day on my late grandfather's 1941 Standard Fordson,it would have been so much easier to have taken a 1972 David Brown with electric start.The Fordson was only of two handstart tractors there,the rest were 60's and 70's stuff.Glad I made the effort !

DJR - I think the reason CCM's are so highly prized is for two reasons,firstly they look and sound absolutely fantastic.And secondly they are what many people wished had won all the championships despite the 2stroke invasion. The very same thing happened to me,in 1986 I bought a new TLR250 Honda,at the time they were pretty hopeless,and mine just kept on falling apart.It was so much easier and successful on the Yamaha TY250R that I replaced it with.Despite being horrible to look at and sounded awful.(Compared to the Honda)

• Like 2

Good to see people still like the old stuff, 

im 32 and like my old Bikes, had a flat tanker up until last year and still got my first bantam from when I was 8 years old. I still ride my dads super rocket and model 18 when I get the chance.

my friends like the older stuff but the price of the run of the mill stuff is getting stupid now and with buying a house ect there out of reach for most younger people. 

As for trials I've got a 2010 beta but don't ride it much now as there is very little places to practice and don't enjoy entering a trial as I can't get good enough due to the above problem, so fancied a pre 65 to go to the peak classic events where the going isn't as tough. 

We ride a bit of enduro now as there are more places opening for practice days and I'm sure if trials opened up more like this the sport would grow, everyone who comes round and has a little play on the rear garden loves it but won't buy one as there is no where to go unless you enter a trial. 

Just my thought and I'm probably wrong but I do like a good moan! 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/08/2017 at 5:13 PM, djr said:

But I am baffled by the prices for B.S.A.  powered CCMs ,

especially the Trials model , did anybody ever win a major Trials event / championship on one of those ?

I vaguely remember Dave Thorpe riding a 350cc BSA engined CCM in the 'Scottish' a few decades ago. I think I'm right in saying that it sprang an oil leak or two and gave Dave quite a challenging ride. Can't  recall whether he coaxed the bike through to the finish or not. If so, he did well. As somebody else mentioned in this thread, the bike looked and sounded gorgeous.   

Image2-7-edit.jpg