Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigplonker

Pre-65 prices

19 posts in this topic

On 21/08/2017 at 5:13 PM, djr said:

But I am baffled by the prices for B.S.A.  powered CCMs ,

especially the Trials model , did anybody ever win a major Trials event / championship on one of those ?

I vaguely remember Dave Thorpe riding a 350cc BSA engined CCM in the 'Scottish' a few decades ago. I think I'm right in saying that it sprang an oil leak or two and gave Dave quite a challenging ride. Can't  recall whether he coaxed the bike through to the finish or not. If so, he did well. As somebody else mentioned in this thread, the bike looked and sounded gorgeous.   

Image2-7-edit.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

On 21/08/2017 at 5:13 PM, djr said:

But I am baffled by the prices for B.S.A.  powered CCMs ,

especially the Trials model , did anybody ever win a major Trials event / championship on one of those ?

And..., as well as Dave Thorpe, the 350 CCM was ridden in the late '70s with some success by Nick Jefferies, who also rode the four-stroke RTL Honda and various racers in the IOM TT thus making him one of the great all-rounders.

Nick-Jefferies-350-CCM-1978-Perce-Simon-trial-288x300.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking an inflated price is one thing, very few sell for those prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, bigplonker said:

I vaguely remember Dave Thorpe riding a 350cc BSA engined CCM in the 'Scottish' a few decades ago. I think I'm right in saying that it sprang an oil leak or two and gave Dave quite a challenging ride. Can't  recall whether he coaxed the bike through to the finish or not. If so, he did well. As somebody else mentioned in this thread, the bike looked and sounded gorgeous.   

Image2-7-edit.jpg

 

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, bigplonker said:

And..., as well as Dave Thorpe, the 350 CCM was ridden in the late '70s with some success by Nick Jefferies, who also rode the four-stroke RTL Honda and various racers in the IOM TT thus making him one of the great all-rounders.

Nick-Jefferies-350-CCM-1978-Perce-Simon-trial-288x300.jpg

thanks for this info, but I still don't see any victories in a major Trial or Championship mentioned ?

the oil leak is no surprise though !

I will concede they look and sound okay , but not enough to justify a world record price for an old Twinshock ,

if I really wanted a 4 stroke Twinshock I would get a Honda

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0