4T v 2T... Big Difference?

riffraffretro

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2016 300RR, which to be honest, looks pretty stylish in the flesh.

Having always run 2T bikes previously (enduro and now trials), I'm curious to know how the 300RR stacks-up against the 2T competition. I notice that the 300RR's weight is ball-park at 72kg (when compared with my 315 at any rate), but wonder how the engine 'feels' in comparison and whether it'd be lacking in power against a similar capacity 2T.

I am a big fan of the way 2T power is delivered, their general lack of bulk and low running/maintenance costs, but the 4T itch seems to need scratching and seeing as big H does 4T as well, if not better than anyone else, wonder if it's a chance worth taking, or whether I'd be left feeling let down.

Anyone out there made a similar move... what's the general consensus?

BTW, I'm an average Clubman level rider, so no expert or authority, by a long chalk.

Thanks again for any guidance/opinions.

Edited by riffraffretro

You ought to go back through and read "why don't they just grip".

I've always thought they were the miracle cure to finding that elusive grippy line but after reading that thread I'm glad I didn't get one.

It's hard enough trying to stay clean without having to change an already dodgy riding style !!!

• Like 2

I started trials on a Beta 300 4T and decided to try a 2T because I read too many forums. I like the 2T but i miss the 4T. Even with the big difference in power delivery, I would say I ride/score the same. I never had grip issues and nothing climbs a hill better than a 4T. I still can't make some hills on my 2T that I made easily on the 4T. 

• Like 2

I started on a 2t GG then tried a 06 repsol back in 06 went out and rode section that i had been ridding with my 2t I cleaned the section first try, thought it was a fluke but kept cleaning the section. I bought the bike and have ridden it up until 2 months ago when i picked up a 2017 300 Montesa . 

I have a buddy that was getting back into trials he had ridden 2t montesa for some time thought he would like the 4t montesa he rode my 06 4rt for a while but just could not get his timing right he just prefered the 2t 

• Like 1

Thanks guys... really appreciate the feedback.

The 'Why don't they just grip' thread was an eye opener, too! I was of the opinion that a 4T would grip like my old XR400... choose a gear, any gear, apply minimal throttle, point the 'bars in the general direction of desired travel, feet on the pegs and way to go - grip, grip and more grip, no fuss, no wheelspin and no drama (or talent), to factor in!

Based on my own capabilities, I think I'll run with what I know for the time being.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riffraffretro said:

Thanks guys... really appreciate the feedback.

The 'Why don't they just grip' thread was an eye opener, too! I was of the opinion that a 4T would grip like my old XR400... choose a gear, any gear, apply minimal throttle, point the 'bars in the general direction of desired travel, feet on the pegs and way to go - grip, grip and more grip, no fuss, no wheelspin and no drama (or talent), to factor in!

Based on my own capabilities, I think I'll run with what I know for the time being.

I have a XR400R and the power delivery from my 4RT is totally different

The XR will grip for England, thumper, plonk style............whereas the 4RT doesn't 

It needs more commitment to ride the 4RT well

Personally I get better results on a 20 year old TYZ

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

The XR will grip for England, thumper, plonk style............whereas the 4RT doesn't 

Could you possibly remap your 4RT to make it more user friendly?

20 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

I never had an XR400R (took a short ride on one, but not long enough to know how well they grip) so can't speak to the comparison, however for trials bikes I guess it could be quite different for everyone.  

On that note I find it interesting... I went from a 2T (Gas Gas) to my 07 4RT and found I did better over all, traction, control in the turns, feel of the clutch, throttle response, etc. all improved without me having to work any harder than on the 2T.  

To each there own I guess... 

---

On that note, riffraffretro if you love 2T bikes there is a good chance that it would be a good idea if you could find someone with a Montesa 4RT 260 or 300 that would be able to let you get a good ride on one before considering to buy one.  

My 2 cents.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, teddybattye said:

You can if you have the software and cable

So if you have the software and cables how easy is it to access the maps. From what I can see there are a few maps for experts or B graders but not many for clubman/c graders. It looks like 4RT sell well in Japan and there is alot of after market products available for 4RT in Japan so I am thinking the Japanese would have more of a range of maps available for mere mortals riders. Would that be correct. I tried looking on Japanese websites but strangely there all in Japanese and my japanese is not to good.

From what I can see you can make your own maps but that seems quite complex to me a mere mortal.