Will cops now start targeting road trials.

4 hours ago, gasserguy said:

If the police write you up for a small number plate it will be chucked out. No such thing. Simple.  They need to give you a ticket for wrong size lettering and spacing. Yes, every trials bike i've seen is worth a warning or ticket........

Again, its a term people use, no one said its what the cops but on the ticket.

On 15/08/2017 at 9:39 AM, suzuki250 said:

It wouldn’t be difficult to manufacture a replacement mudguard for the correct number plate, but how many people would actually buy one!

I can really see the DVLA changing the size of digits for trials riders…:rotfl:

The problem with trying to put the fuller number of full size digits on a plate is that the plate has to be so large it tends to get broken off off road motorcyles in particular and off road vehicles in general. Some registration numbers have more digits than others and some digits and letters are smaller than others. It would make sense to issue registrations with fewer digits and narrower numbers and letters to vehicles with restricted plate space, such as motorcycles. Slower moving vehicles could also be permitted to have smaller plates and digits. A good case could be made for the above on safety and easy vehicle recognition grounds. I like suzuki 250 do not hold out much hope of politicians showing common sense but they did remove the need for front number plates on motorcycles on safety grounds. What we need is a body that properly represents our case to the rule makers, an area where the ACU is sadly lacking.

• 5 months later...

One thing to remember is that is if your bike does not comply with the Road traffic Act (ie tyres, number size and spacing etc) . In the event of an accident the insurance you have is (or can be) void as the insurance company can claim you wilfully took the bike on the road knowing it does not comply with the law... 

On 14/08/2017 at 11:22 PM, dadof2 said:

When rear mudguards were at reasonable angles and the size fitted to monoshock Yams, Fantics etc there was hardly ever a problem with number plates, since the introduction of thin pointy things stuck up in the air numerous riders have been warned that if they don't put it right they will be prosecuted. 

I don't recall seeing any legal plates (but they at least could be read) back in those days, though it was technically possible, unlike now.  There is, of course, the viewpoint that a bike sold as suitable for registration and use on the road but which is incapable of carrying a legal rear number plate is not fit for purpose...................

• Like 2

On 1/27/2018 at 5:49 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

I don't recall seeing any legal plates (but they at least could be read) back in those days, though it was technically possible, unlike now.  There is, of course, the viewpoint that a bike sold as suitable for registration and use on the road but which is incapable of carrying a legal rear number plate is not fit for purpose...................

The old barn door is a sizable thing.... where could it even be mounted safely?

I got pulled once for small plate on my CBR600, wasn't excessive but my bike was 3-4 months too young for a single line registration (was only 6 digits from DVLA)... legal sizing and spacing was a few mm out either way anyway (it came with the bike) so a fine for that.... which wasn't. :(

40 minutes ago, miner said:

The old barn door is a sizable thing.... where could it even be mounted safely?

That's the point - it is up to manufacturers to build vehicles to comply with Regulations.  I see road bikes are now coming with the mounts attached near the rear wheel spindle which could provide compliance but, for practical reasons, would require removal as soon as you left the road.

• Like 1

The bottom line is - modern trials bikes are not designed to be ridden on the road. When trials first began a person would simply modify their road bike so that it would be possible to be ridden off road to a degree. Folk would fill up the tank ride to the event ride the course then ride home. These days, no matter what, a modern trials bike if made totally legal for road use would be un-practical to ride in trials competition. So there has to be a trade off one way or the other, else road trials will no longer be viable.

Edited by dav cc
  • Like 2

On 14/08/2017 at 11:22 PM, dadof2 said:

Many of the rules we are expected to abide by are regulations, nor legislation. There is a big difference. The problem is not so much the laws being pan european or not, its the manufacturers making bikes that do not comply with them properly.

If the ACU, AMCA and manufacturers representatives got together and presented a reasoned case to the government to reduce the size of the digits and plates and reserve the registration combinations with fewer digits for motorcycle use they may listen.

When rear mudguards were at reasonable angles and the size fitted to monoshock Yams, Fantics etc there was hardly ever a problem with number plates, since the introduction of thin pointy things stuck up in the air numerous riders have been warned that if they don't put it right they will be prosecuted. 

dad off again,total red herrings again, we all know our number plates are illegal and we dont need you to tell us.

As the vast majority of trials, and you and your friends dont ride road trials whats the size or shape of the mudgaurd got to do with it. FFs back in the 70 80's we had stick on which werent legal then.

The manufacturers arent going to do anything cos its a british problem brexit or not.

You can get the add on plates which are a ssdt requirement anyway so your point is pointless. No prizes for that here.

On 20/08/2017 at 11:54 PM, dadof2 said:

What we need is a body that properly represents our case to the rule makers, an area where the ACU is sadly lacking.

If you think you can do better join up and get elected, this attitude of yours acu should do this politicians do this etc etc stinks.