Trial GP - UK Round 2018

johnnyboxer

If the MTB world can put up such a world class event in Swaledale, why can't Trials - for our home GP?

I don't see a shortage of access, for artics and the associated Trial GP Circus

Show the rest of the world, how good our 'natural' terrain and a bit of rain is

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, johnnyboxer said:

No comments?

So everyone prefers arena type 'outdoor' sections on a small venue?

No I agree with you entirely but it's not me you need to convince. How are the bikes getting from that field to the sections? 

I totally agree, I went to tong this year and I enjoyed it as a venue it's brilliant, good parking ,small (ish) lap ,my problem is that I stood next to the last step on section 15 because I genuinely believed that no one was going to get up it with the run up that they had etc, when most of the top ten trial gp lads sailed up it I was a mixture of amazed and a little bit disheartened, I would love to see the Spanish lads riding some of the harder sections in the ssdt ,the world championship is far too focused on how big they can go instead of technical /variety, just my 2 quids worth

• Like 1

On a not so high high profile note I noticed when observing dougie at the st davids British champ many years ago that he lost his marks on the slippery cambers not the big stuff.

As c of c for the last few years of the st davids btc we have put some big stuff in for the crowds but we know the marks will be taken in the loose streams and mud that don't look mutch  and the riders dislike  but takes marks without killing people.

Not fashionable but proper sections.

Have faith and put on s proper British wtc I say.

• Like 2

On 14/08/2017 at 9:46 PM, baldilocks said:

No I agree with you entirely but it's not me you need to convince. How are the bikes getting from that field to the sections? 

Very easily from there to fremmington avoiding the road. A more difficult decision would be world class sections within walking distance, and the willingness of a club prepared to take it on. Wi fi might be tricky, and getting 40ft lorries in harder still. Even in July the start field got badly churned up, it's never predictable weather. Simply paying the tens of thousands of pounds to the fim to run it is probably the biggest hurdle?

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Very easily from there to fremmington avoiding the road. A more difficult decision would be world class sections within walking distance, and the willingness of a club prepared to take it on. Wi fi might be tricky, and getting 40ft lorries in harder still. Even in July the start field got badly churned up, it's never predictable weather. Simply paying the tens of thousands of pounds to the fim to run it is probably the biggest hurdle?

Agree in terms of a natural venue for a more typical UK Trial. Im absolutely against paying the FIM for the privilege. Looking at the age profile of riders in the NE Centre I'd suggest trials needs to prioritise getting new young riders interested or the next decade is going to be the last one. Money can be better spent than using it to fund a world round.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some in the club that wanted to put on a WR, I can remember a recce being done as to what could be used around Richmond itself. There were others that thought why put all that time, effort & money into an event for a few that might not even show up. It's certainly one of the reasons that the 3 Day came into being.

I've long thought that the Fremington Edge area would make a WR venue, might even have got to use this, the photo flattens it considerably.

25042010093.jpg

Edited by perce
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, perce said:

There was some in the club that wanted to put on a WR, I can remember a recce being done as to what could be used around Richmond itself. There were others that thought why put all that time, effort & money into an event for a few that might not even show up. It's certainly one of the reasons that the 3 Day came into being.

I've long thought that the Fremington Edge area would make a WR venue, might even have got to use this, the photo flattens it considerably.

25042010093.jpg

And on the 8th day god made sections 

• Like 2

On 08/09/2017 at 6:25 AM, baldilocks said:

This is where the WTC is just plain daft. We get Tong instead of the kind of section above because Tong has a version of hard standing and WiFi??

Not to criticise Tong as I enjoyed it but I'd far rather watch the section in that photo

Is it not more cos theres a fence around and you have to pay to get in?