Advice needed on TY175 purchase

Julian Taff

Hi All.

I have a yamaha TY175 fairly local to me, which from pictures looks fairly tidy.. I want a bike i can use and not worry too much about cosmetic condition but don't want a rat.

The bike in question hasn't been used for 10 years. The seller started it up today and said it is running really well.

Now if it hasn't been used for a long time i heard that the engine seals harden and although it may run ok for a few weeks it more than likely going to be a problem in the not too distant future.

It's this Bike here in link below - any advice much appreciated.

Cheers Taff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Ty175-twin-shock-trials-/162631190905?hash=item25dd930979:g:yqsAAOSwtGNZjKm1

Aye, at that price it would have to have full registration docs (it would almost certainly have been registered when new).  Always wary about bikes being sold by car dealers, perhaps unreasonably so.

Many riders would want to spend money modifying that one for current trials use as it seems bog standard so probably too dear.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Aye, at that price it would have to have full registration docs (it would almost certainly have been registered when new).  Always wary about bikes being sold by car dealers, perhaps unreasonably so.

Many riders would want to spend money modifying that one for current trials use as it seems bog standard so probably too dear.

Thanks for that.. think I will leave it  then.. I only want sommething for riding in field really but looks like it needs money spent on it anyway ...plus the fact it's not been used in 10 years puts me off. 

TY175 Master Race!

Balls to that being an old restoration though, it looks like it needs a good going-through - mine was way tidier and cheaper than that, and I'm looking at a total cost of about £2500 by the time it's back together, majesty-ised, and everythings 5 by 5 from tip to toe.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, turbofurball said:

TY175 Master Race!

Balls to that being an old restoration though, it looks like it needs a good going-through - mine was way tidier and cheaper than that, and I'm looking at a total cost of about £2500 by the time it's back together, majesty-ised, and everythings 5 by 5 from tip to toe.

Would like to see a picture when done :-)

On 14/08/2017 at 10:02 PM, technowaldo said:

Realistically needs 2 tyres,rear  shocks and other miscellaneous bits and bobs which will equate to £300 why not spend the money on a decent fantic

I recently bought a restored Fantic 241. Unfortunately, i have a problem with a leak from the clutch cover. I've managed to get a new old stock one, but waiting for sight glass to come and then trying to find someone to fit it.

2 hours ago, Julian Taff said:

Would like to see a picture when done :-)

I'm aiming for making it rideable in October (using the old wheels, seat, tank, etc), and finished by the end of the year

Being realistic, I've got three other bikes to maintain / improve / ride, plus my SO's two ... I'm in no rush, and want to get it right!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, shakennstirred said:

£1650 over riced for even a Ty needing nothing.

Hopefully you didn't buy it.

No i didn't as it has been standing for 10 years. I have been told for a mint or restored one would need to pay £2,500 ??.. so i thought that was quite cheap. I'm glad you have told me that as I thought that was the norm.