Will it fit?

Alshine

Hi

After hearing about so many bikes being pinched I thought it was time to ditch the bike trailer and hide my pride and joy in the back of a van.

I've been thinking about getting a Ford Transit Custom SWB with a crew cab which results in a smaller space to put the trials bike (If it will fit)

Has anyone got one of these vans for taking the bike in? If I could fold down the rear seats it would just be a case of removing the rear bulkhead but the seats are fixed.

The VW Transporter Kombi can do just that but they are silly money.

Cheers Alan

How about getting the load space dimensions off the Ford website and applying a bit of geometry (as you can load the bike diagonally if necessary)? I have a much smaller vehicle (Citroen Berlingo car version) and I'm hoping to be able to fit a bike in that. If I can't, I'm right up S__t Creek because that's what I bought it for.

• 3 months later...
On 15/08/2017 at 8:19 PM, stanmet said:

Bike fits ok in a berlingo 

stanmet I've got an '06 Berlingo van with the folding passenger seat. I'm shopping for a first trials bike now. Its good to know that I won't have to add the cost of a trailer. Do you strap the bike in on the diagonal?

I have a Berlingo car. I've removed both rear seats. Then pushed the passenger seat forward and made a little wooden infill to bring the rear footwell on the passenger side up to the level of the main platform. I put the loading ramp to the right of centre and run the front wheel over against the passenger side BC post. Finally I get a bit more diagonal by lifting the rear wheel slightly to the right. Headroom is only just adequate and I have to take care to keep the bike perfectly upright to stop the end of the handlebars savaging the roof lining. You should have a bit more room in the van as I assume that has no roof lining in the back.

The car has six tie-down points built-in. I don't know if the van is the same. I use three straps: one to left rear, one to right front and one to left front. Very easy.