Novice-friendly 250

trapezeartist

To add more confusion, some bikes respond quicker than others.  I mean response as in how quickly the motor increases rpms.  I ride a 300 evo yet a friends 125 evo responds quicker.  I find that the 250 evos I have ridden respond slightly quicker than my 300 even though it is counter intuitive.  Some riders who ride obstacles much larger than I do prefer 125s because they do not have to worry about using too much power.  On the other hand, you can be 2 or 3 gears too high and still get through on a 300.  I think it comes down to personal taste so you should try as many as you can.  I have not ridden many of the other current bikes and my throttle control has probably improved over time but in general, I found the Betas to have softer/ smoother power bands than other bikes.  This excludes their current 125.  I don't know how they get that much response from a 125.    

I see, trapezeartist, that there's a 280 Scorpa in the adverts section.  A bigger motor but I have ridden that model of Scorpa and was amazed at how docile it was.  Certainly as easy to ride as my 200 Beta from the power point of view, which may give you even more to think about.

Yes it's all very confusing, but more information is never a problem. Obviously I'm going to have to ignore the advice of some people as there are some diametrically opposite opinions. Please don't be offended if I ignore yours: I appreciate everyone's help.

If your a true beginner as in no motorcycle experience then the slow tube might be worth considering, however if your just a beginner to trials (or brave) then I would give the fast tube a try.  

The trick with a fast tube and beginner is they often will grab the throttle with a bent wrist (rotated up) trying to be ready to give it a good twist.  And this can lead to over turning it and what is called whiskey throttle or a runaway bike.  If you can set the brake and clutch levers up just a little below level then use one finger on the front brake lever and then grab the throttle with a flat wrist (or as flats as possible) you will find it takes more effort to get a good turn without being in the correct body position.  

This then improved hand position helps you remember your stance, and when wrong helps prevent over turning the throttle.  And as your body position improves so dose your ability to get a bigger twist for bigger moves without loosing the bike or yourself.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1