Novice-friendly 250

trapezeartist

Hear good things about the standard Beta 250's being very docile... but even more so the standard 250 4T.

I would say that a well setup 250 of any of the brands would do well however.  You can always add a black/slow throttle tube, a fly wheel weight, and/or gearing changes.  

If it was me I think if I couldn't get a 200 I would go with the Beta 250 4T, but that's opinion.

good luck.

• Like 1

Any of the 250's, Just fit a slow action throttle, Low compression head and flywheel weight.  All will be much nicer to ride even more so with winter around the corner and mud!

Or just get a modern'ish 125. Plenty of power for a novice rider.

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 2

I have had three Beta 250s including an Evo.  I changed it for a 125.  The best thing I ever did.  I have ridden a Sherco 125 for the last 2 years, but if I was buying a new, or late model bike now, I would probably buy a GasGas 125.  I tried a new one out a few months ago and it was brilliant.

You don't need a powerful bike to learn on.

• Like 2

Yup, my Gasgas 125 remains great fun and is more capable than I am, lol

Much better than being over-biked, I've tried bigger and TBH not enjoyed it ... the TY has a little more torque but the same HP, which makes for a pleasant change :)

• Like 1

While I am grateful for everyone's opinions, I'm not all that much further forward.
Buy a 4T. Buy a 2T.
Buy any 250. Buy a 125.
Don't fall off and land on your shoulder. (That's a view I will definitely try to take on board.)

When observing I've noticed a lot of 125s being revved and driven a lot harder than the 250s. That's what puts me off them.

I do find the argument persuasive that the various means of taming a 250 should be sufficient. And so far no-one has come out strongly in favour of one make or another in respect of power delivery. Perhaps I can just look for the best I can find at my price, regardless of make.

• Like 1

I'm a novice and got back into trials a year ago on an old Cota 247, made dreadful progress learning new skills (spent more time tinkering with it).  I'm now using a 2008 Beta Rev3 250 with a slow throttle and it's absolutely ace, great power, handles well and confidence inspiring.

Most 250's are almost the same, all can be de-tuned. Question therefore you may like to think about is which make has good dealer support in your area and if you go to club trials in your area you may find a strong local brand following - there is usually a good reason for that.

• Like 2

It's difficult because you seem to get variances even year to year. I've got a Beta Rev 250 that's very snappy and "aggressive" - I tried a friend's one out and it felt lifeless and lethergic  by comparison, even with the same throttle tube. I tried an Evo 250 and that felt snappier but not as snappy as my Rev, and a Montesa 4T which felt (to me) cumbersome but grunty and powerful.

Try out as much as you can. Literally have a go on everything. Some bikes won't suit you from a feel perspective - the TRS feels just weird to me to ride for example, though I'm sure if it was all I knew I'd be fine with it. Don't like the feel of Shercos or GasGas either, so the engine doesn't come into it at that point.

Throttle is analogue though, not a switch - so if you have good control, power shouldn't be an issue. Easier said than done when you are learning I admit.

19 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

When observing I've noticed a lot of 125s being revved and driven a lot harder than the 250s. That's what puts me off them.

On a long steep ascent, yes you've gotta rev them, especially if you're on the heavy side like me.  On the plus side, the reduced power gives me confidence that on those climbs I'm not going to get a sudden wheelie due to bad technique or a slip of the throttle

I can't say the exhaust has bothered me as a rider, there are other things to think about when you're doing the riding, and I enjoy a little bit of the feel of hooliganism without the consequences ;)

Tip I would give is regardless of the bike have it well set up.

Controls', tyre pressures suspension carb etc just get it spot on.

I ride loads of different bikes thers always give aways on most beginners bike like a loose grip loads of play in the throttle tickover to high/low  just basic stuff that an experienced rider wouldn't have.

Happy hunting.

• Like 2

I'll second Breagh's opinion. One of the common problems I notice (even on the bikes of some very experienced riders) is drooping footrests.  A dab of weld would bring them back to horizontal, or just above.  If you are concentrating on keeping your feet on slidey rests you will be diverting from what you should be concentrating on, not to mention the possibility of a fall.

On 15/08/2017 at 2:51 PM, oni nou said:

Chat with Dingle on here; he had the same problem...... his post from December 2015 titled 'What would you buy.....?' is up again; he just replied to it.......it took him nearly 2 years to decide what bike to buy .....started off he was getting a brand new 300cc Sherco or Beta after having ridden around a carpark on a 125 at a try trials at a dirtbike show and has now just settled on a 2001 Beta REV3 250 which he just fell off and hurt his shoulder; so he can give you the best insight to your dilemma.

Best hurry up and buy one before they ban people riding Motorcycles off-road when we leave the EU  and people start taking control of their Country.... there will be some interesting things happening ......Rich people have homes in the countryside....and who runneth bartertown.........not trials riders that's for sure

Tbh my lack of buying a bike is more down to being too busy with work and life, I'd actually stopped looking ages ago the only reason I ended up with the Beta is because it was too cheap to turn down ......

As for the falling off and hurting my shoulder ..... well that was down to total lack of skill and getting cocky ....  i had been on the bike all day and found it very easy to ride, responsive when I wanted it to be but not like it was trying to kill me all the while.

Im still trying to get used to the way you use gears on a trials bike, it's very alien to me to not have to use 1st gear to pull off all the time for instance ..... 

Where abouts are you based ? You are more than welcome to come and try my Beta 250 and see what you think ?