Type approval

2stroke4stroke

Might I draw your attention to this https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/motorcycles-implementing-eu-regulation-1682013 , the relevant part being the application of type approval to trials motorcycles "used on the road".  Those used purely in competition will be exempt.  There seems to be a complete lack of understanding that the two are not mutually exclusive and that type approval for bikes used in road trials will apply.  There are few enough of these events as it is but we don't want to see any, particularly the SSDT, disappear due to lack of suitable bikes.

Perhaps a public response pointing out the anomaly might do something.  I note that the ACU are not amongst those organisations consulted.  It would be useful if an ACU person reading this could take up the issue.

This proposed regulation looks like it could put an end to trials on the road, particularly with regard to the need for an ABS braking system and due to the nature of how trials and enduro bikes are used, such a system would not be practical, particularly as locking of the rear wheel is often a fundimental way of riding a trials bike through a section.

This is a very good reason for quitting the EU. Once we are out it will be far easier for the UK government make appropriate changes .

This "one size fits all" approach the EU has must be about as stupid as you can get.

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Just read it, and it is machines over 125,cc.NEW.

I have just had this problem with an imported machine, that I need on the road for Charity work.

I think we will be OK with older machines for a while but they may shut the door on us later,

Who knows what will happen when we leave the EU?

I bet there will be rules put into place to stop Classic bikes later, being used on the road? 

That is the way the governing bodies are  going.

Anything to stop our sport on a Sunday morning when the maJority need to get out on their cycles and block the highway's,  and country lanes of Britain.

And these and Horses go Free!! Two Strokes contaminate the air we breath,you know.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

What has everyone got against cycling ffs?I do both!Horses were on the roads first as well, if you have a little look back in your history book!A little bit of tolerance?

13 hours ago, charlie prescott said:

Hi Guy's.

Just read it, and it is machines over 125,cc.NEW.

I have just had this problem with an imported machine, that I need on the road for Charity work.

I think we will be OK with older machines for a while but they may shut the door on us later,

Who knows what will happen when we leave the EU?

I bet there will be rules put into place to stop Classic bikes later, being used on the road? 

That is the way the governing bodies are  going.

Anything to stop our sport on a Sunday morning when the maJority need to get out on their cycles and block the highway's,  and country lanes of Britain.

And these and Horses go Free!! Two Strokes contaminate the air we breath,you know.

Regards Charlie.

15 hours ago, dadof2 said:

This is a very good reason for quitting the EU. Once we are out it will be far easier for the UK government make appropriate changes .

This "one size fits all" approach the EU has must be about as stupid as you can get.

:agreed:

But don’t expect too much help from our government!

Edited by suzuki250

15 hours ago, charlie prescott said:

And these and Horses go Free!! 

Can’t really see the need for ABS on an horse, but some EU bureaucrat as probably proposed it..:wacko:

7 hours ago, andrewmorpeth said:

What has everyone got against cycling ffs?I do both!Horses were on the roads first as well, if you have a little look back in your history book!A little bit of tolerance?

Agreed.  How many motorists are happy stuck behind a 30 mph trials bike?

Aren't trials bikes (predominantly) already built in the EU to EU regs anyway? I was at a dealership on Friday and they were stripping all the Euro4 gubbins (electrics, exhaust) off a new 2017 Evo....