TY250 Mono piston/barrel query

pbear62

Hi guys,

I'm looking at doing a rebuild on a 1984 TY250S (serial #53Y - red frame/steel tank/fat seat model) which my father in law has had since new with a

view to getting back into trials next season.

Back in the '80s there were quite a few of us riding these bikes in Western Australia but they've pretty much all disappeared now. Due to a lack of 

aftermarket parts (& knowledge) back then we all rode them pretty much standard & just put up with the rattling & clanging noises the motors made.

Before I do too much to the rest of the bike I want to see what can be done to sort out the top end of the engine & get it running better (i also had a

Pinky in the early & mid '90s & it was a huge improvement over the earlier models)

Since I've started looking into this I have been told of a couple of different options:  #1:  Simply fit a Pinky piston assy into the original barrel (I can get 

a new o/size Pinky piston assy) or #2: modify the porting in the barrel & skim the head & squish band. (this info comes from UK tuner Stan Stephens)

With this second option there is no info given on whether the original piston is still used. (I'm guessing so as there was no mention of different pistons)

Has anyone on here done either or both of these modifications? If so, which is the better way to go? 

I'm not aiming to get back into "A Grade" (obviously!) & don't want to get into doing any of the 270cc/shortened intake type mods either - there's no-one

over here doing these mods & if I was that serious I'd just buy a late model bike!

Any info you can give me would be much appreciated - I want to revive this bike but need it to be nicer to ride than they used to be!

Thanks in advance, Andy