Electric bikes in Scotland

cabby

2 hours ago, cabby said:

This may be a grey area but if you ride an electric mountain bike in the wilds of Scotland, what is stopping you riding an electric trials bike...in the wilds of Scotland ? 

A very grey area which as a mountain biker & trials rider concerns me.

My understanding is that the electric mountain bikes are power assisted only when the rider pedals, i.e. they are not completely self-propelling like an electric motorbike. Given that the average man or women sees what we ride as 'scramblers' how are they meant to differentiate between two bikes fitted with knobbly tires and an electric motor?

Glass half full, this opens up more land to access and apparently pollution free riding. Glass half empty, this potential loophole is abused and legitimate riders of both sports lose valuable land access rights.

Hi Cabby I don't think there's a problem as I don't think any electric bike would finish a decent wobblers trial on the one battery.

Be fantastic for the first hour and a real workout for the next 4 pushing it off the hill..

Give the hill walkers a good laugh.

• Like 2

The law defining what is an electric pedal cycle is very clear.  Such a device can be altered and it then becomes a motor vehicle and hence, like an electric trials bike, not allowed under the 2003 Land Access legislation.

Even the most myopic rambler could tell the difference between a bicycle with a well concealed (as they are) electric motor and an electric trials bike.

Not a grey area. The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 gives widespread access to land provided that right of access is exercised responsibly. The use of a motor vehicle (except a powered vehicle designed for and used by someone with a disability) is specifically stated as not being a responsible action and therefore not legal.

So Electric Motion cannot look forward to an upturn in sales in Scotland based on the particular access rights there.

Edited by cleanorbust

I don't know most us Scots up here are on a disability benefit of some kind so this could be a goer.

Mind you as we're all all about clinically obese I think run time could be further ruduced hardly make it to the local chippy on the old EM.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Not a grey area. The Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 gives widespread access to land provided that right of access is exercised responsibly. The use of a motor vehicle (except a powered vehicle designed for and used by someone with a disability) is specifically stated as not being a responsible action and therefore not legal.

So Electric Motion cannot look forward to an upturn in sales in Scotland based on the particular access rights there.

You've quoted the Land reform Act, but can you point me to the specific part of the act, as I have it up here and is quite considerable and quite frankly I canny be ersed reading it all. 

This is what I have found in the code so far

any form of motorised recreation or passage (except by people with a disability using a vehicle or vessel adapted for their use);

• Motorised activities, such as motor biking and scrambling, off-road driving, the use of any powered craft on water, microlighting, and the use of powered model craft. These activities still require the permission of the relevant owner or manager. Access rights, however, do extend to a person 14 Section 9, Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 Scottish Outdoor Access Code, 2005 15 with a disability who is using a motorised vehicle or vessel built or adapted for use by that person1

Edited by cabby

Got it...

Section 9

9Conduct excluded from access rights

The conduct which is within this section is—

(a)being on or crossing land in breach of an interdict or other order of a court;

(b)being on or crossing land for the purpose of doing anything which is an offence or a breach of an interdict or other order of a court;

(c)hunting, shooting or fishing;

(d)being on or crossing land while responsible for a dog or other animal which is not under proper control;

(e)being on or crossing land for the purpose of taking away, for commercial purposes or for profit, anything in or on the land;

(f)being on or crossing land in or with a motorised vehicle or vessel (other than a vehicle or vessel which has been constructed or adapted for use by a person who has a disability and which is being used by such a person);

(g)being, for any of the purposes set out in section 1(3) above, on land which is a golf course.

Double standards old bean, go into any local woodland on a slope and you'll find it's some sort of improvised downhill MTB track.

You put one wheelmark down and you're for the Tower even though moving tons of earth cutting trees and breaking up walls seems to be tolerated if you've a set of pedals.

All this "digging" is usually accompanied by a wide range of litter just to top the whole thing off.

Like yourself I like the old MTBs too but haven't fitted the optional shovel /axe carrier.

Edited by breagh