wee practice soon

asmara

Trials boots and a good trials helmet have been the best gear in my opinion...

unless you're taking transmission gear... when I got a chance to ride my friends JTX 270 it was about the same as most trials bikes.  Start with small moves like figure 8's in 1st tell you can get full lock turns, then do the same thing in 2nd gear, and at least in 3rd as well.  

Continue using every gear you can during practice for anything.  Even if it sounds strange to hear me say this, you will find there are many counter intuitive situations when riding trials where you may think 1st would be better but 2nd is smoother or 1st gives a better result on a bigger up because you need more throttle and instant hit than 2nd can give.

good luck and experiment as much as you can tell you find your own riding stile and comfort zone.

• Like 2

I try pretty much everything in 1st first, then I have a crack at it in 2nd - my experience is the same as jonnyc21, there are times where 2nd is smoother even though it "feels" like it should be something done in 1st.

Then I try things in 3rd which results in more stalling and/or falling off.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, asmara said:

so on a trials bike your not up and down the gears, generally using 1 or 2 gears depending on the conditions ?

Depends on what you're riding, if tight then a blast up a bank then normally I'd pick a point where I can change up before launching although different bikes do change whether that is needed. Some sections require a few changes 

• Like 2