Montesa Cota 247

stevewarden0

Hi All.

I live in Ontario Canada and I just managed to get hold of a 1973 Cota 247 in kit form OR as I like to call it a challenging project!

The previous owner has stripped everything down - and I mean everything - boxes containing engine/brake/etc... no order to anything!

Has anybody any idea where I can get a manual from?

Thanks

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

You're not alone, even though I'm in Australia. I just bought a "Version Ulf Karlsson" Cota 247 in very poor condition. I used to ride trials late '60's - early '70's and couldn't leave this thing to die - I plan to bring it back to life over the coming summer. Who knows, maybe I might get back into trials on it - if they have a class for over 70's - years that is :-)

Monty.jpg

DSC_0005.JPG

• Like 2

I found a Cota 247 manual on the net some time ago, it covers all models including the UKR but is of poor quality. I saved it somewhere and will attempt to attach.

Only 2 weeks ago I requested a manual from South West Montesa for my '74 black framed Cota, unfortunately the good quality manual Jared emailed me was for a much earlier model 247 not really relevant to my 1974 model.

The '75 UKR is quite different to its predecessors due to gearing and clutch arrangement, the beast I was looking for when I stumbled across my '74 in ok original condition.

Oldaz, if you decide not to go ahead with the resto and want to sell, I might be interested as I'm also in Oz. 

Classic-Montesa Cota 247.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks Fourex, got it and will keep you in mind. Currently chasing a top for the triple tree, the one on the bike is badly corroded, looks like acid or something has attacked the aluminium - you may be able to zoom in on the top piece in this picture. I'll be chasing up various parts in preparation for the project, taking lots of pictures and comparing them to others on the internet as I build parts and repair lists. So far the list of parts looks like it will cost over $1200 just for parts, then postage as most stuff looks like it will have to come from overseas. Plan is to photograph and document everything that's needed, everything that needs or can be repaired, find where I can get parts at reasonable cost, then strip and clean, inspect and repair, then paint. When I get to assembled and working stage I'll make up my mind whether I put original style lighting on it.

I'll post pictures of progress when I start actually working on it.

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 2

You're right, it's a bottom clamp. I've been in touch with David, he's measuring some stuff for me. Seems the bottom is the same as the top except no threaded holes for the handle clamps, but waiting for confirmation. Thank you.

Thank you, but they are different shape and I'm going for original where possible. Cheers.

Latest news, using a different search function I just located and bought a complete original set, thanks to all for helping.

Edited by oldaz
New information added

• 1 month later...

The "summer project" seems to have started a bit earlier. The more I took off the bike to find out what I would need to bring it back to life, the more I found needed repaired or replaced. The price on the parts has long passed the initial purchase price and probably still another $600 or so to go, but that's what you get with projects. I eventually got the frame stripped right down and sand blasted so I could do a full inspection. Sadly there were cracks I hadn't expected as well as all the broken mounting tabs and stripped captive threads. The frame now has a custom strengthening collar around the top of the front down tube, the cracks there were ground out and welded, stress relieved and ground smooth, then the collar welded over the repaired section to overlap the double walled section already there. All missing mounting tabs replaced including captive nuts welded where needed, swinging arm also. 

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

• Like 2

Got the new seat back from ACM seats in Melbourne, Pete did an excellent job and built it on my custom made base in the Ulf Karlsson style. OK it wasn't cheap and I had to make the base myself, but a LOT cheaper than a genuine Ulf from Europe - and it fits :-) Also finished off the new alloy chain-guard and finished repairing the foot rests - what I would consider productive - think the rest will slow down a bit now. BTW using all stainless steel fasteners as it goes back together.

Also need at least one good replacement fork tube/stanchion - any clues where to get one??

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG