Montesa Cota 247

stevewarden0

6 hours ago, oldaz said:

Thanks, but I'm referring to the external kick-start lever and it's return spring on the 247 engine. The inner part of the spring locates in a hole in the timing cover and as near as I can see, the outer part has a hooked end to locate in a notch in the clamping area of the lever. Problem as I see it, is the spring has to be pre-loaded by half a turn to get into the notch, then it will be loaded a further 180 degrees as the lever travels through it's throw. This puts way more tension on the spring than is needed, so I ask the question "is this arrangement correct"? Or maybe do I have a wrong lever?

LeverSpring.jpg

Ok. I have to ask what manual is that in the picture? It actually looks helpful compared to the exploded parts diagrams we have. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motosolex said:

I have to ask what manual is that in the picture? It actually looks helpful compared to the exploded parts diagrams we have

The picture is "photo-shopped" from the 247 parts manual, I just took out the part numbers and assembled the kick lever on computer to demonstrate what I was talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress, although it's slow going. Fibreglass repairs completed and first coat of primer-filler on the tank/seat unit. Have to sand it back now and probably a second coat before I get to final paint. The end is finally in sight.

MontyTank.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi to you all.  I've now got all of the problems you guys have faced with restoring your Cota 247's, I had my last one when I was 20 which was 43 years ago now.

Anyway, if one of you could be so kind and let me have a copy of the Clymer manual I'd be really thankful. If not, can someone tell me how to remove the primary gear from the crankshaft and the clutch basket ?

That would be great for a start.

By the way. it's a pretty early 70's one, righthand gearchange, chassis and engine #'s 21M5032

Thanks in advance,

Phil

On 4/7/2019 at 12:20 PM, brownie001 said:

Hi to you all.  I've now got all of the problems you guys have faced with restoring your Cota 247's, I had my last one when I was 20 which was 43 years ago now.

Anyway, if one of you could be so kind and let me have a copy of the Clymer manual I'd be really thankful. If not, can someone tell me how to remove the primary gear from the crankshaft and the clutch basket ?

That would be great for a start.

By the way. it's a pretty early 70's one, righthand gearchange, chassis and engine #'s 21M5032

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Hi Phil. 

DM me with you email and I can send pics from our Clymer book. 

On 3/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, lineaway said:

So you pulled the jets and made sure both passage ways on the pilot circuit were clear? Rust in the tank?

On 3/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, oldaz said:

More progress, although it's slow going. Fibreglass repairs completed and first coat of primer-filler on the tank/seat unit. Have to sand it back now and probably a second coat before I get to final paint. The end is finally in sight.

MontyTank.JPG

Beautiful. 

Did you seal inside?

on ours we did not and the nice new paint almost immediately blistered. Arggghhh!

5 minutes ago, motosolex said:

Beautiful. 

Did you seal inside?

on ours we did not and the nice new paint almost immediately blistered. Arggghhh!

Not yet, been out of action for a while, did the second coat of primer filler and sanded back ready for paint. Got the paint, new Ulf Karlsson stickers arrived, but done nothing since. Now hoping to get some tank sealer and maybe finish it off in the next couple weeks, then sadly it will be on the market along with some other projects.

3 minutes ago, oldaz said:

Not yet, been out of action for a while, did the second coat of primer filler and sanded back ready for paint. Got the paint, new Ulf Karlsson stickers arrived, but done nothing since. Now hoping to get some tank sealer and maybe finish it off in the next couple weeks, then sadly it will be on the market along with some other projects.

Too bad. The posts you provide are great and helpful to us new guys. Take care. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, oldaz said:

Finished the building stage today, just need fuel and carby tune to end project.

21 hours ago, oldaz said:

Finished the building stage today, just need fuel and carby tune to end project.

Put some fuel in it, primed through plug hole and it started first kick. Had a (very) short ride around back yard and put it away, getting too old for this stuff, lol.

Monty.jpg

Monty1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3