Rookie suspension question....

johnnyjazz

hello esteemed and revered trials friends, i really hope i'm not outstaying my welcome here and asking too many questions but was wondering if one of you super knowlegable vtg TY trialers would be able to offer me some advice on how to tell if i would need new rear shocks? ive heard/read the ty250a can be greatly improved by new shocks, but are the ones i have on the bike ok?- or is it a given that they are 43 years old they should be replaced esp if i will use the bike on the road?  pls see pic as hopefully that is a better indicator of condition. they seem to be ok but i am no expert.

also (sorry!), with regards the front suspension, when i brake and the forks compress i can hear metal banging on metal.  does that mean i need new springs in the front forks or just an oil change?

with many many thanks from a novice and very best regards from NYC. :)

20170814_120949.jpg

Compress the rear suspension with your hand and release sharply. If it pops up quickly and or tops ot with a bang the shocks are worn out. Sometimes they can be refilled with oil. Remove the springs. Immediately above the weld where the bottom of the shock is welded on drill and tap an M4 threaded hole. Fill the shock fully with oil then withe the tapped hole uppermost fully compress then release the shock. Fit a screw with sealing washer / loctite to the tapped hole.

Front forks. Drain the oil then remove the spring. Refill to about 90 to 110mm from the top with the spring out and fully compressed. SAE 10 hydraulic oil or automatic transmission fluid does for both forks and rear shocks. 

After a bit of riding / experience you will be able to better judge what to do for yourself.

• Like 1

Thank you so much!! what a wealth of kindness and knowledge here :)

it is my hope to be using it as a trials bike but only vtg/novice clubman class at this stage...

ive just been trying to make it look nice and get it ready for its road inspection/MOT.....

• 4 weeks later...

Holy Smokes! night and day :)

feeling so much more confident to tackle this stuff and learn more....knowledge is power!!

thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help and kindness in this forum, esp senor lahey who seems the

most effervescently resplendent mechanically minded TY chap this side of the galaxy!

shocks.jpg