Where are all the entries????

laird387a

12 hours ago, dadof2 said:

They only observe very occasionally, but their family members (wives, father, daughters) used to observe frequently until they got fed up of stop / no stop abuse.

That's total BS! I’ve observed for years and only ever had one incident, and that was a minor one!

Edited by suzuki250

Reading the post it stands out the trials riders fall into 2 groups 1 that compete/ 1 that play, Its the 1s that only play we need to get to trials .Would instead of giving beginners a riding number  a card with F on it for "fun" ,there scores are not recorded or put on results if they dont finish trial /miss sections they are not marked down as a dnf ,only there names on the results saying they were there  " only they would know how they did",  So when they feel ready they can get a riding number and compete if not stay in the FUN class , This way no extra courses/ alter sections  or pressure put on them to do a section if they dont want to do it or do x laps they only do what they are happy with, The fun class is not just for beginners  / thinking about moving course try it  no scores to be seen 

Edited by on it
add more

1 hour ago, on it said:

Reading the post it stands out the trials riders fall into 2 groups 1 that compete/ 1 that play, Its the 1s that only play we need to get to trials .Would instead of giving beginners a riding number  a card with F on it for "fun" ,there scores are not recorded or put on results if they dont finish trial /miss sections they are not marked down as a dnf ,only there names on the results saying they were there  " only they would know how they did",  So when they feel ready they can get a riding number and compete if not stay in the FUN class , This way no extra courses/ alter sections  or pressure put on them to do a section if they dont want to do it or do x laps they only do what they are happy with, The fun class is not just for beginners  / thinking about moving course try it  no scores to be seen 

My local club know how useless I am, if I miss one particular gate that I don't feel confident getting around they don't mark it; it does take a bit of pressure off me, even though I'll be in last place anyway, lol

2 hours ago, on it said:

In my world of Pre65 and Twinshock trials most clubs now have a "Gentlemans" route.This is intended for people who want to ride at their own level who are generally senior in years or very much at the novice end of the skill spectrum. It works very well,older riders can keep riding when they would otherwise retire,novice riders can join in without getting out of their comfort zone.

How it works is that they just go through the start gate and take any route they like to get to the end card,they also often are only scored on three laps when the rest do four. When I'm marking out I try to ensure that there is an easy path for them to follow if they wish. For novice riders practicing is all well and good,but to really improve you need to compete to stretch your skills/confidence.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

That's total BS! I’ve observed for years and only ever had one incident, and that was a minor one!

Its not BS. It seems to be easing off recently but 2 to 3 years ago in Norhern England there was argument after argument, some of it so offensive even people who and ridden and observed for 25 years plus gave up observing in disgust. Some of the worst examples being some well known BTC riders at the round in Swaledale / AGs field the dry limestone beck sections.

9 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

A 40 section trial that lasts 2 hours? where?

Multi lap trials in Northern England (not all by any means but some). The hard course maybe has about 4 or 5 riders as it too difficult for anyone else. Many of the clubman sections are too easy for experienced clubmen. They barely need a glance on the first lap and the other 2 or 3 laps (maybe 1 or 2 miles round) are ridden without even bothering to look at the sections. Add in the inconvenience of some self observing and the cheating that goes with it and the conclusion not to attend that event in future is an easy decision.

I am not going to name specific events or clubs, because even a poorly attended event means hard work for volunteers.

Ok I've spoken to other members of Seaton Delaval tonight as we have a trial in the 17th September at Wards Hill Near Rothbury. I'll get it in the calendar tomorrow.

We'll put on an adult conducted course, see what happens and feedback to this thread. It's a very easy course to get round, it's almost flat between the two groups of sections. We'll do a full lap conducted then let riders either practice on the sections they prefer or do two more laps to get a result.

A couple of more experienced riders will provide advice and guidance to the group.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Ok I've spoken to other members of Seaton Delaval tonight as we have a trial in the 17th September at Wards Hill Near Rothbury. I'll get it in the calendar tomorrow.

We'll put on an adult conducted course, see what happens and feedback to this thread. It's a very easy course to get round, it's almost flat between the two groups of sections. We'll do a full lap conducted then let riders either practice on the sections they prefer or do two more laps to get a result.

A couple of more experienced riders will provide advice and guidance to the group.

Hi Glen

Great idea and many thanks for leading the initiative !

Unfortunately we are a the next Kia round in Llangollen that day - but if its a success and more planned I am more than happy to give up a ride to help

look forward to the feedback - I hope its a success

cheers

John

I've already said you can't run a trial to please all abilities.

It seems obvious to me that club trials should be there to bring riders into the sport and a bit of fun for the rest of the entry National/Centre trials should cater for experienced riders.

Up here the 3 AMCA clubs really only run a beginners route with a few extra gates for the more experienced .Never really had a poor entry and always new folk at every event. Dead easy to run .

You get a bit of stick though because as riders get better they want the trials stiffened up as they don't really get what it's all about.You've got to let them go,

• Like 1

13 hours ago, baldilocks said:

@totty79, are you available to give this event a go and let us know if it works for you?

It would be interesting to get your feedback.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haysy said:

@totty79, are you available to give this event a go and let us know if it works for you?

It would be interesting to get your feedback.

Unfortunately not, I'm away that weekend, but I'll pass it onto a couple of guys I practise with.

It's great to see someone giving this a try, I'm sure it will be a massive help to anyone who's on their first few trials and make them more likely to keep coming back.

• Like 2