Where are all the entries????

laird387a

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

The vast majority ride competitions of some sort so anecdotal evidence of practise only riders is a complete red herring.

thought we were trying to find new rides for trials and play riders with trials bikes that dont ride trials might be a good start  but you know best nigel 

• Like 1

My point is I don’t think there is anything much wrong with trials .

its never going to be super popular - it never has. We have acceptable entries and we try and give riders what they want because basically we are all riders who put on trials . Our biggest issue is that majority want to ride and nobody is left to observe. Now that is a problem.

if on your area you are finding there are not events you like then organise one.

• Like 2

I was one of the earlier contributors to this topic and there have been numerous others all bringing up their own thoughts on why entries are falling. 

Sorry,,,, but as much as everyone means well on these forums (or do they ) nothing will happen or improve until someone gets off their a*** and does something positive and don't tell me, "thats ok to say that buts its not that easy" ,,,, true.

These days I live in Australia for the last 37 years but I was a rider in the midland centre before I left and I still go back to UK to ride the Manx Classic 2 day and I will be riding over there for my last effort in 2018.

When I come back I ride BMCA events in the Midlands, 3 lines, great trials, great people great venues, 30-40 riders each trial common sense severity.

In Aussie we had a group of people totally dissatisfied with our governing body (same as ACU) so we started our own unaffiliated trials club, SQTA (Southern Queensland Trials Association)10 years ago and we are still going strong with an average of 50+ riders every event, moderns, twinshocks and classics.

if we could achieve that in a country as big as Australia then surely there are enough guys in UK to set up their own club, affilliated or non affilliated and make your own rules, section severity, entries etc etc.

Problem is, having a nucleus of 4/5 guys to get it going, but as they say ,,,,,, "If things don't change, they'll stay as they are" 

TTFN     

• Like 1

Plenty riders about but as Jimmyl says you've got to run trials that suit them.

On it says he doesn't ride trials anymore but there could be good reasons for this not all clubs make you welcome .

Why don't you go to trials now Onit?

Cub 200

if you don’t change it will stay as it is

Exactly what I’m trying to say.

within  the  acu rules  you can do pretty much what you want so long as it’s safe and legal . Stop/no stop/ fancy dress/ green bikes/ old bikes / brand new bikes. 

You’ve just got to go and do it and not expect somebody else to give it to you on a plate.

its an amatuer  sport run by volunteers not a multinational with customer complaints dept  and marketing budgets.

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, breagh said:

Plenty riders about but as Jimmyl says you've got to run trials that suit them.

On it says he doesn't ride trials anymore but there could be good reasons for this not all clubs make you welcome .

Why don't you go to trials now Onit?

breagh , ive riden trials 46 yrs lived it loved it  Stopped due to,  Lack consistency to sections  ive ridden trials expert section 1 trial the next trial the  same section is clubman or you ride 50/50 and get given a section the experts are 5 or 3  you just dont know what your going to get so air on caution and get easy sections drop nothing  or ride next course up but take the risk of a big off  & hurt  as its rocks here 

46 years that's even longer than me.

There is a lack of consistency for sure ,

Not just between clubs but in clubs themselves, a complete luckybag.

It would be good to have a standard level/layout for club trials.

Well done for lasting so long.

4 hours ago, on it said:

breagh , ive riden trials 46 yrs lived it loved it  Stopped due to,  Lack consistency to sections  ive ridden trials expert section 1 trial the next trial the  same section is clubman or you ride 50/50 and get given a section the experts are 5 or 3  you just dont know what your going to get so air on caution and get easy sections drop nothing  or ride next course up but take the risk of a big off  & hurt  as its rocks here 

that sounds like a feeble excuse, if youve been riding for 46 years i would have thought you might have found a club that puts on trials to your liking. Some dont realise how luky they are living in places as you do. Try riding in the south midland centre then you might see it.

I cant believe you cant join a club and help find siutable trials. Lack of consistency is a problem we all have to deal with and as @jimmyl says get involved.

• Like 1

I won the novice award in the 1964  BMCC James Trophy trial and have an entry already for the 2018 Manx Classic 2 day,,,,,,, that will make 54 years of trials riding, can anyone beat that ???

Sorry to get off the subject.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

that sounds like a feeble excuse, if youve been riding for 46 years i would have thought you might have found a club that puts on trials to your liking. Some dont realise how luky they are living in places as you do. Try riding in the south midland centre then you might see it.

I cant believe you cant join a club and help find siutable trials. Lack of consistency is a problem we all have to deal with and as @jimmyl says get involved.

Well nigel i really dont give a toss if you think if thats a feeble excuse thats how i feel !   yes ive found clubs with a few  good trials but over the years they have gone   , SO find suitable trials get involved seen that done that !  So im lucky to live were i do   well dont  you think  we get sick of same place same sections also?  you come up to Richmound trials why for something different ? so why dont YOU change the trials in the midland center if theres a problem with them (as you and jimmyl tell me to do that )  But as always YOU know best !

In our centre we have a annual trials forum attended by all our clubs - All 3 1/2 of them and open to anybody that wishes to attend. We try and set out what people want for the coming year and try and get some consistency. As said before we run some Centre championships which are aimed at a harder level and then some easy/club trials etc.

We have a grading system which is published so people know what class they are in and helps clubs set out suitable trials and  I guess riders know what to expect from one type of event to the other.

Obviously weather can play a part and some venues are just harder than others..

We are probably lucky in that we only have a few clubs and in reality its the same faces riding and marking out so consistency seems to be achieved.

We are now working with our neighboring centre to try and keep this consistency going and avoid clashes of dates etc.

However I have found that if I ride further a field then I tend to drop down a class as other centres seem to have  a greater number of experts/masters riders than we do and mark their trials out accordingly.

Likewise if I'm unsure I normally have a look at a few section before entering a specific class or have a chat with some of the locals or clerk of the course before making my decision..

I think for the average rider then going up or down one class would normally ensure a challenging or safe day out  - depending on what you want. I appreciate for raw beginners and novices the gulf can be much greater and what the C of C thinks looks ok to a competent clubman maybe a complete stopper for the beginner.  

I guess if you have lots of clubs or ride in maybe 3 centres regularly then this consistency may not be there.

Sometimes a good idea to benchmark yourself with riders from different clubs/centers and see what they ride when you are on there own patch. Likewise some clubs just run hard trials - study the results of previous trials to see what the winners is on and chose accordingly..

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, on it said:

Well nigel i really dont give a toss if you think if thats a feeble excuse thats how i feel !   yes ive found clubs with a few  good trials but over the years they have gone   , SO find suitable trials get involved seen that done that !  So im lucky to live were i do   well dont  you think  we get sick of same place same sections also?  you come up to Richmound trials why for something different ? so why dont YOU change the trials in the midland center if theres a problem with them (as you and jimmyl tell me to do that )  But as always YOU know best !

I think some people like you @on it will moan and complain and probably are better off playing anyway.

If you need an explaination, the reason why I dont bother too much with trials around here is simply the quality of terrain, and access to suitable spots, you are so lucky where you are its a shame you dont realise it...... and if you think its cos Richmond is "different" Im guessing you dont know what real trials are.

For the best part of 10 years i struggled with one other person to secure a piece of land for a practice area in Milton Keynes which is as good as it gets imho round here, so I dont need any advice from you either.

Whether I know best is neither here nor there but clearly its time for you to see things more objectively?

1 hour ago, nigel dabster said:

I think some people like you @on it will moan and complain and probably are better off playing anyway.

If you need an explaination, the reason why I dont bother too much with trials around here is simply the quality of terrain, and access to suitable spots, you are so lucky where you are its a shame you dont realise it...... and if you think its cos Richmond is "different" Im guessing you dont know what real trials are.

For the best part of 10 years i struggled with one other person to secure a piece of land for a practice area in Milton Keynes which is as good as it gets imho round here, so I dont need any advice from you either.

Whether I know best is neither here nor there but clearly its time for you to see things more objectively?

O my hero dabster ! moan and complain ok  I am  but maybe i dont have rose tinted glasses ! I have seen things objectively and dont like the way the sports "gone" its not for me any more !.   

@jimmyl you might be interested to learn that competition difficulty is something that other sports struggle with - apparently in kayak racing (ie. not white water, just distance) there's an issue where despite having national difficulty levels set by the governing body, people travelling from the north to the south find they get entered at far too high a level ... this is down to the level of local competition getting skewed over time, and I guess as with trials low-level entrants don't tend to travel very far to take part.

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

@jimmyl you might be interested to learn that competition difficulty is something that other sports struggle with - apparently in kayak racing (ie. not white water, just distance) there's an issue where despite having national difficulty levels set by the governing body, people travelling from the north to the south find they get entered at far too high a level ... this is down to the level of local competition getting skewed over time, and I guess as with trials low-level entrants don't tend to travel very far to take part.

Best improvement I ever did to my riding was moving from Yorkshire to Wales - became an expert overnight :D:D

• Like 2