Where are all the entries????

laird387a

14 minutes ago, on it said:

Were do i say anything about expert riders ? i said HARD COURSE coz theres not just experts who ride on it is there ?  

Does it matter if you call them hard course or expert riders in this context ? 

The problem appears to be that the hard course can only be ridden by two riders, so better riders drop down to the lower course and then want that to be harder ? Well ease off the hard course a little don't do away with it.

The original question wasn't about the lack of experts it was about the lack of entries in general.

it goes back to last august where a number of events had 20 - 30 riders.

Just now, baldilocks said:

The problem appears to be that the hard course can only be ridden by two riders, so better riders drop down to the lower course and then want that to be harder ? Well ease off the hard course a little don't do away with it.

The original question wasn't about the lack of experts it was about the lack of entries in general.

it goes back to last august wher

Just now, baldilocks said:

it goes back to last august where a number of events had 20 - 30 riders.

so whats wrong with 20/30 riders ?why do clubs feel they have to get a large entry   

13 minutes ago, on it said:

so whats wrong with 20/30 riders ?why do clubs feel they have to get a large entry   

Because depending on land costs etc it may not be economically viable to run the event and if entry fees were increased to accommodate the low entry numbers less riders would enter, we all know how tight trials riders are, and the club would then have to fold.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old trials fanatic said:

Because depending on land costs etc it may not be economically viable to run the event and if entry fees were increased to accommodate the low entry numbers less riders would enter, we all know how tight trials riders are, and the club would then have to fold.  

if due to land shortage you are hiring MOD or forestry land (lets say costs of £1k to £2K) then the club has to have a real big entry to make it viable (even when that's met, then land still gets pulled). even a "normal" venue would require a decent (40+ 50+ etc) entry to pay a sensible land hire (thats without other costs like toilets). Entries of 30 and under and only any good if the land is free or a nominal fee (bottle of whiskey, free ride, etc).

• Like 1

Low entry events lack the atmosphere of a larger event,also most observers are friends or family of the riders,so in a low entry event observers are hard to get.This leads to some sections being self scored and sometimes suspect winners.The honest riders get fed up with this and don't turn up ,so you get less riders.

Seems to me there's too many small events,sometimes on the same day competing for the same pool of riders.I feel it would be better if the clubs affected could come up with a calendar to avoid this,maybe running bi monthly instead of asking the same few to organise it all every month 

• Like 2

Could it be that there are too many trials and people just become bored of riding.  A 5 lap of 8 sections, or a trial with an entry of 25 riders hardly gets many people excited.  Harpy back, to coin a phrase,  trials ran September ish to April ish.. after a summer break,  less a few evening / afternoon trials, riders we champing and ready to get back into it.  Less is more.... better quality events,  better date planning may help.   

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 8:40 AM, nigel dabster said:

Clearly though you are harping back to the 70/80s I can actually see your point, but as its 2017 riding your bike even if it were road legal isnt an option in most towns and cities in the uk.

How this relates to entries im not sure, but insurance at about 100 isnt bad, and our problems are much more than "small tanks" which is another dadoff red herring.

Yes I was looking back to the era that ended when the TY monos were superseded. For a youngster, insurance and the costs of getting a licence for even a 125 cc are considerable, near prohibitive for a 250 or 300. I agree problems are much more than small tanks (that is just one factor that reduces a bikes versatility). I live in the country and its bad enough riding a low seat bike here, let alone in busy city traffic. Quite a few people round here who would have bought a trials bike (if they were more versatile and fully road legal) have now bought enduros.

As some have suggested there may be merit in having fewer and better trials. Westmorland Motor club has a very good 3 class (easy, green & hard) 2 route system. The green course is a combination of the harder easy route sections and the easier hard route sections.

A significant reason I am now less inclined to enter trials is that I just do not have the interest I used to.

14 hours ago, dadof2 said:

Yes I was looking back to the era that ended when the TY monos were superseded. For a youngster, insurance and the costs of getting a licence for even a 125 cc are considerable, near prohibitive for a 250 or 300. I agree problems are much more than small tanks (that is just one factor that reduces a bikes versatility). I live in the country and its bad enough riding a low seat bike here, let alone in busy city traffic. Quite a few people round here who would have bought a trials bike (if they were more versatile and fully road legal) have now bought enduros.

As some have suggested there may be merit in having fewer and better trials. Westmorland Motor club has a very good 3 class (easy, green & hard) 2 route system. The green course is a combination of the harder easy route sections and the easier hard route sections.

A significant reason I am now less inclined to enter trials is that I just do not have the interest I used to.

Montesa4Ride - ideal as a base Clubman bike - larger range and good seat.................there you go, job done

See.... it can still be achieved

• Like 1

Vic Britain filled up in 2 days

I see the jack wood is full

1st round of Normadales Castle Colchester Phil King trial; full at 130

I'm sure the Lomax will fill pretty quick when entries open for the easter national.

As said before I thinks it is just Horses for courses and so long as there is a variety of trails and you cater for your market then people seem to enter. 

• Like 3

On 26/01/2018 at 6:34 AM, nigel dabster said:

...thank goodness. Perhaps your lack of intrest will reduce your posting personal pointless anecdotes which apply to very few in the trialsworld

The very few in the trials world is likely to be even fewer if they read your posts - who wants to be involved with aggro and insult?

In reply to Johnnyboxer, I do at times think of buying a 4rt but for the number of trials I do I can't justify the expense. This same comment applies to quite a few of my contemporaries, not that they would necessarily buy a 4rt, it just they say for the amount of riding they do now and the sections they want to ride their old bike is all they need.

To get back on topic, I don't think there is any one reason whilst trials entries are falling, its an accumulation of many factors. Who knows it may turn round and become popular again for no apparent reason. 

I have or have had a close interest in (and with one exception participated in) a number of other sports, some rumble on, some are in decline, two are booming and one is so popular the local clubs are not taking on new members.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 9:20 PM, dadof2 said:

The very few in the trials world is likely to be even fewer if they read your posts - who wants to be involved with aggro and insult?

In reply to Johnnyboxer, I do at times think of buying a 4rt but for the number of trials I do I can't justify the expense. This same comment applies to quite a few of my contemporaries, not that they would necessarily buy a 4rt, it just they say for the amount of riding they do now and the sections they want to ride their old bike is all they need.

To get back on topic, I don't think there is any one reason whilst trials entries are falling, its an accumulation of many factors. Who knows it may turn round and become popular again for no apparent reason. 

I have or have had a close interest in (and with one exception participated in) a number of other sports, some rumble on, some are in decline, two are booming and one is so popular the local clubs are not taking on new members.

if you feel agrieved or insulted then perhaps you should look more objectively at your postings, or in simple terms get out more?

I rode yesterday at a practice ground, and at a very smal venue there must have been close to 80 local riders , competing.

If you think a 4rt is too expensive then you need to look at a) the way they hold there value, and b an older model which are reasnobly priced.

no one has said there is one reason trials are reducing in numbers, just your thoughts are way off what others are seeing and experiencing.

Take a closer intrest in other sports they may suit you better?

if you feel agrieved or insulted then perhaps you should look more objectively at your postings, or in simple terms get out more?

My feeling are irrelevant - its the impression the tone of your posts gives to casual readers of the forum that could put them off.

I rode yesterday at a practice ground, and at a very smal venue there must have been close to 80 local riders , competing

Are you now implying because you attended an even of 80 riders trials is not generally in decline?

If you think a 4rt is too expensive then you need to look at a) the way they hold there value, and b an older model which are reasnobly priced.

Read what I said properly. I did not say that a 4rt was too expensive. In fact running a 4rt would cost a lot less than one of the other sports I participate in.

no one has said there is one reason trials are reducing in numbers, just your thoughts are way off what others are seeing and experiencing.

What you see and hear may well differ from what I do, did I say someone has given a single reason?

Take a closer intrest in other sports they may suit you better?

Are you implying someone should only be interested in one sport and do you really think I need your guidance on this?