Where are all the entries????

laird387a

Instruction isn't mandatory here, you just have to pass tests.  We picked up an old 250 and I taught my other half most of it (plus used phone apps and DVDs for the theory etc), as a result she only needed a couple of afternoons of proper lessons on a larger bike.

CBT - 1 day of basic bike handling on a little 125, supervised on the road for half the day

Theory Test - Multiple choice on road signs, laws, etc.  Usually takes a month or so to learn it all from scratch.

Hazard Perception Test - Identify hazzards on a video of road use.  This catches a lot of people out, the computer doesn't allow for false positives or slow reactions.

Mod 1 Test - Enclosed paved area test on a bike with a decent amount of power (64+hp IIRC).  Low (~4mph) and high (32mph) speed abilities, emergency stop, etc (you can fail for pulling your brakes in the wrong order in the emergency stop, touching a cone in the swerve, dabbing in the low speed riding, etc etc)

Mod 2 Test - 45 minute on-road test.  Includes highway and town riding, hill start, following street signs, etc (you can fail for stuff like not indicating, or doing shoulder checks correctly)

$300 MSF Course in USA takes you as far as Mod 1 Test that you describe and you are fully licensed. This included a bike to ride during the course.

Instruction isn't mandatory here for the motorcycle endorsement.  Written test for learners permit and road test for about $100.  This can be done with casual training.  More complicated if starting from scratch for a drivers license with motorcycle endorsement at same time.

So it's $1000 to go through everything to Mod 2 Test?

Edited by nhuskys

Took my test again a few years ago and I would say £700 is about right including CBT theory test hiring a suitable bike for the test. I got away with a days tuition and a few hours before both my tests. I’m unsure if an A2 license would suffice for a trials bike as apposed to a full license? Either way it’s a big commitment for anyone, plus tax, mot, insurance etc. 700 would pay for a lot of trials and practice days.

A lot of the people I ride with took up trials to avoid riding on the road and have a bit of a laugh safe in the knowledge all your mates will make it home at the end of the day, and ultimately you don’t need to compete in a trial every weekend to have a laugh and drink tea with your mates. Maybe it’s due to the average age of trials riders in the uk being higher than other sports people are less bothered about competing and more about having fun in their limited spare time outside of life commitments.  I guess the challenge would be to persuade these people sat on the fence to do a few more trials and up the numbers a bit. I don’t think there is one simple answer, makes for an interesting debate though! 

• Like 1

Sport is not cheap certainly motorsport.  Trials remains very affordable, and there are some great trials out there that make taking the test, taxing and insuring your bike worthwhile. It might mean you spend a few hours in the car and you are not home to watch Songs of Praise.. Less is more.

• Like 1

MOT - £20

Tax - £40

Insurance - £85

Being able to go green laning on a trials bike - Priceless :)

(there's some green lanes around here with great little trials-y bits off to the side, I can ride from home, do a couple of hours, and ride home again)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all thought I’d add my opinion to this thread. I am a clubman rider in NE&NY centres and usually come around mid table most weeks. I have been going to trials on and off for last four years. And had a trials bike for the last 10 ish years. Currently 25

I think there are a couple of issues that come to mind, some people have already mentioned some of them.

1. Knowing what’s on and in enough time to plan for it. I must go to 5or6 different websites to see what’s trials are on in the next month or so (which has taken me a few years and word of mouth to find some of them). Some club will only us their own websites some spring them on Facebook a week before and other use trial central. If all clubs would use one platform to put all the trials on with plenty of notice ( a couple of month or so). It would be far easier to plan but also highlight clashes far easier so clubs can rearrange.

2. Clear instructions on location. I have been lost a few times trying to find a new venue to me. 

3. Different difficulties with the same course name. E.g. Clubman at Richmond is loads harder that butsfield. Which is not a problem as long as you know but if your new to the sport it could put you off. It needs some kind of severity rating based on venue and club that is homologated from time to time.

4. By mail entry and paying by cheque is old hat ( I have never had a cheque book) however this is usually only the ‘big event’ trials and where there’s a will there’s a way.

5. Short 4 lap 10 section trials are all well and good for practice and a ride out. But they can get a little boring and if they do happen to have a big turn out, really slow with lots of queuing especially if it have a double section in. This can and has puts people off as no one wants to sit for 10 minutes at each section. This just need some careful section planning and maybe a staggered start. But larger lap trials are better where possibiable.

6. Marking out. For new comers 3 routes can be difficult to work out especially if it hasn’t been flagged considerately. But I think 3 courses is a good idea to accommodate every one. Also where the easy can be a wider version of the clubman(Weardale do this well) it should be so the easy can pick the harder lines if they want. Also some sections should be ‘optional’ so people can try something harder or skip it to save them self. 

7. Lack of cheap/free, local practice grounds. Young people just aren’t going to get into the sport if they can’t ride some where legally to get use to the bike etc. 

Well that’s my thoughts on it anyway. 

Edited by jossysouter
  • Like 1

While I agree with almost everything jossy says, I'm not sure if any of the points raised can actually be blamed.

20 or more years ago when trials had huge entries, they were all pre paid by cheque, one route for all, no Sat nav for directions, tmx might have details of events but usually it was word of mouth. 

Strangely, bikes ran at 25:1 and didn't foul plugs or oil up exhausts.

15 hours ago, b40rt said:

"20 or more years ago"

13 hours ago, collyolly said:

"Nearer 40 years ago"

Exactly things change! People also went to the pub every night after work but that doesn't really happen as much anymore.

It's different generation of riders we are trying to appeal to now(for new entrants). I would definitly not got into the sport if it wasn't for the farther in law and I bet 90% of new riders only start riding and remain riding because an older family member knows what's going on. 

I am definitly not for giving up love it and I think the organisers of the all the event do a better job that I would so please don't think I am putting any club down with my comments it only suggestions of how to get more people into the sport. 

As a spectator sport, trials has much to offer if the course is in one place. On the other hand a course involving public road use limits the spectator to either the start or if they want to see more then driving to where ever, trying to park, then a slog to the section/s. This ends up being more like hard work than enjoyment. The BBC tv Kick Start programme put trials riding fully in the public eye, both with junior and adult riders attempting ever more challenging obstacles, the tv audience either hoping to see some skilful riding or spectacular offs. At these events there always appeared to be a fairly healthy number of spectators obviously some were rider supporters and parents of the junior riders. But the programme took away the natural sections and challenging hazards that the countryside offered, naturally enough the difficulty in placing cameras in those days to get quality pictures outweighed the “let’s build” a log pile, waterfall etc.

Maybe because the land availabilty and then access and parking can be a limiting factor. I know that if I happened to own land suitable for trials then I would welcome any club or organiser because I know what is involved. However, planning and other environmental issues might not make it that easy to allow for a land owner who has never seen a trial. We all know our sport but it’s kept so secluded from the public eye that a great many people see trials as a kind of stunt show, not helped by modern riding techniques being the first thing people think of. That could also be a reason why some of the er.. more mature amongst us hesitate to enter a trial for fear of being seen as a no hoper. At a RIDE magazine invite to test rider skills we all listened to a briefing when there was a tremendous crash. An experienced rider (his description) dropped a brand new bike just throwing his leg over it.....we were supposed to using this bike.....not anymore!!! Compare that experience to that of a rider who wants to do well in a trial ....and that’s the word...a trial...not a test, not a backbreaking strength test....not a machine breaking, parts damaging blast up an ever steeper slippery rock strewn inclined gulley. A trial of man and machine riding a course that sees them enjoying themselves. 

Achievable trials courses set out with thought as to the type of rider and machinery that might be used or catered for. Call it an alcomers day trial or evening or weekend taking into account those who might like to overnight. I didn’t want to call that an easy trial but that’s the way forward. The next trial could be a little more challenging but still catering for Mr or Madam Average rider, eventually these riders would be gaining confidence and skills to think about tackling more adventurous courses or maybe not, happy with what they have achieved and remaining with that class.

Because of where trials take place and accessibility is difficult for spectators trials will always be less popular than m/x, etc. As people on this topic have already suggested the clubs need to promote themselves more in their local areas and jointly together. Clubs banding together to advertise the sport, using community centres to advertise in, getting bike dealers to show club events on their notice boards and in general making a splash of plugging the sport wherever in local papers maybe getting a feature printed in them. 

Having sponsored both trials and m/x riders and one or two trials it was advertising that brought in the spectators and the competitors. It’s too late to be a Toni Bou or Dougie Lampkin for many of us and the thought of trying some of the obstacles that they clean is a terrifying one. You develop a more vivid imagination as you age and your head tells you it’s going to hurt before you have even unloaded the bike, that has cost a packet. 

Clubs need to rethink their strategies and try to involve more of the trade, press and promote their club more effectively.?

• 3 weeks later...

I recon that the biggest barrier to increasing the popularity of trials is a poor mobile phone signal at venues out in the countryside!

My 60 year old mate came round our place a few weeks ago.  He looked at my bikes, then told me that he wanted to get a bike, but his missus told him that first they needed to get a new fitted kitchen, a new bathroom and then a new bedroom suite.  No doubt  there will be some other "must have" afterwards.

Most folk are too busy getting "stuff" (including piles of cash) to have fun.  They build a prison for themselves.

• Like 1