laird387a

Where are all the entries????

Which part of next-door-to-Gods-own-country are you in, al_orange? I too feel blessed with the number of events close to home. Having started off without a great deal of practice time, I've found the "Gentleman's Routes" are a great starting point. Go through the start and end cards and do what you want in between. With three events under my belt now, I try to do the full easy route but occasionally dodge a bit, either deliberately or inadvertently. I do recommend it. I've done trials run by Golden Valley and Bath Classic but you do need to be over 50 or over 60 to ride a Modern in their events.

Manx 2 day trial 2017. 225 riders in the solo's, 24 sidecars.  To date, for the 2018 event, 160 entries received so far.  This is a clubmans trial with expert sections.  Sidecars all ride the same route. Entry is minimal and travel costs are comparatively cheap.  Prior to the event is the Southern 100 road race meeting with all the TT stars in action packed pure road racing.  This two day trial is a bargain on its own,  but can be more so if you want to extend it to a weeks holiday.

This post more to do with practising than entering trials, but the more you practice with friends it seemed to be more likely you would enter a trial at the weekend.

What I would describe as the local group of riders live several miles apart, and our practice sections are also grouped several miles apart. What used to happen was that you would ride to someones house to see if they wanted to go practicing, if yes a few others would be phoned and agreed to meet at one of the section groups. All would ride there. Over the evening we would move to other groups of sections then split up to ride home. If it got dark we still rode on the (minor) roads in about 4th gear sitting side saddle so if car lights were seen you would jump off and run alongside the bike in case it was the police. As the bikes were road legal even if it was the police they would just ask what you were doing and when you said you just got caught out when dusk fell they accepted that. Now with dodgy number plates, no horns or speedo and a ridiculously low seat they would give you a hard time and probably a ticket. Also because of high insurance and the new license restrictions many no longer have load legal bikes. This sort of practicing has now nearly died out. Now it means getting the car and trailer out and parking at one area (or inconvenience of reloading bike etc). Small fuel tanks don't help either. The vabove may not seem to be major factors but they have reduced the inclination to ride the bikes as often a we used to. There also may be a slight shift to enduro type bikes because modern trial bikes are no longer so suited to road or trail riding.

On 13/01/2018 at 1:27 AM, dadof2 said:

This post more to do with practising than entering trials, but the more you practice with friends it seemed to be more likely you would enter a trial at the weekend.

What I would describe as the local group of riders live several miles apart, and our practice sections are also grouped several miles apart. What used to happen was that you would ride to someones house to see if they wanted to go practicing, if yes a few others would be phoned and agreed to meet at one of the section groups. All would ride there. Over the evening we would move to other groups of sections then split up to ride home. If it got dark we still rode on the (minor) roads in about 4th gear sitting side saddle so if car lights were seen you would jump off and run alongside the bike in case it was the police. As the bikes were road legal even if it was the police they would just ask what you were doing and when you said you just got caught out when dusk fell they accepted that. Now with dodgy number plates, no horns or speedo and a ridiculously low seat they would give you a hard time and probably a ticket. Also because of high insurance and the new license restrictions many no longer have load legal bikes. This sort of practicing has now nearly died out. Now it means getting the car and trailer out and parking at one area (or inconvenience of reloading bike etc). Small fuel tanks don't help either. The vabove may not seem to be major factors but they have reduced the inclination to ride the bikes as often a we used to. There also may be a slight shift to enduro type bikes because modern trial bikes are no longer so suited to road or trail riding.

Clearly though you are harping back to the 70/80s I can actually see your point, but as its 2017 riding your bike even if it were road legal isnt an option in most towns and cities in the uk.

How this relates to entries im not sure, but insurance at about 100 isnt bad, and our problems are much more than "small tanks" which is another dadoff red herring.

Were the entrys  ?  how about the entry fees of £15 adults £5 kids or adults £20 & kids free ! is that why entrys dropping off  adults think why should  i have to pay  for someones kid to ride a trial . Lets  look at all trials clubman route full --hard route a hand full of riders on it  have we been looking at this all wrong theres not a problem with trials at clubman  level  ,its more to do with the hard course at trials if only 1or2 riders can ride the section whats the point of it ? so what do we do make the sections even harder to take marks off them  not make the sections easy so more riders get a chance  ,yes the top rider wants them harder he gets more of a advantage ! but then  what happens they can not do it so, pack up or move down a course but that course is to easy so the problem starts again !

What what what you grudge the kids a cheap ride round? Up here we've more over 40s than you can shake a stick at but kids are a problem .Normally what happens is Dad or Mum brings junior along the kid packs in and the parent keeps on riding.

I don't know if you've kids that ride but I have and it's heavy work with 2or 3 loads of gear to wash extra bikes to service, repair ,wash they always grow out of things and break things. Unless a parent is totally committed it's just not happening.

Anyway a cheap entry is neither here or there but it' s a nice gesture.

Agree about you're second point.

7 hours ago, on it said:

Were the entrys  ?  how about the entry fees of £15 adults £5 kids or adults £20 & kids free ! is that why entrys dropping off  adults think why should  i have to pay  for someones kid to ride a trial . Lets  look at all trials clubman route full --hard route a hand full of riders on it  have we been looking at this all wrong theres not a problem with trials at clubman  level  ,its more to do with the hard course at trials if only 1or2 riders can ride the section whats the point of it ? so what do we do make the sections even harder to take marks off them  not make the sections easy so more riders get a chance  ,yes the top rider wants them harder he gets more of a advantage ! but then  what happens they can not do it so, pack up or move down a course but that course is to easy so the problem starts again !

I love this. Someone has ability,  puts the 10,000 hours in and gets to expert level.

As a sport do we congratulate them ? No we demonise them, it's all their fault isn't it. If only they would learn to enjoy losing 2 marks on an easy course everything would be just fabulous! 

4 courses and a club can't accommodate an expert ? What sort of incentive is that ?

I'm not saying sections have to be dangerous but if becoming an expert is a dead end why would a young rider start ?

With up to 4 courses it should be possible to accommodate everyone. If only 1 or 2 can ride the expert route then I agree its too hard but that needs adjusting not doing away with.

Any trial has to cater for the people who are going to ride it.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

I love this. Someone has ability,  puts the 10,000 hours in and gets to expert level.

As a sport do we congratulate them ? No we demonise them, it's all their fault isn't it. If only they would learn to enjoy losing 2 marks on an easy course everything would be just fabulous! 

4 courses and a club can't accommodate an expert ? What sort of incentive is that ?

I'm not saying sections have to be dangerous but if becoming an expert is a dead end why would a young rider start ?

With up to 4 courses it should be possible to accommodate everyone. If only 1 or 2 can ride the expert route then I agree its too hard but that needs adjusting not doing away with.

Any trial has to cater for the people who are going to ride it.

Were do i say anything about expert riders ? i said HARD COURSE coz theres not just experts who ride on it is there ?  

14 minutes ago, on it said:

Were do i say anything about expert riders ? i said HARD COURSE coz theres not just experts who ride on it is there ?  

Does it matter if you call them hard course or expert riders in this context ? 

The problem appears to be that the hard course can only be ridden by two riders, so better riders drop down to the lower course and then want that to be harder ? Well ease off the hard course a little don't do away with it.

The original question wasn't about the lack of experts it was about the lack of entries in general.

it goes back to last august where a number of events had 20 - 30 riders.

Just now, baldilocks said:

The problem appears to be that the hard course can only be ridden by two riders, so better riders drop down to the lower course and then want that to be harder ? Well ease off the hard course a little don't do away with it.

The original question wasn't about the lack of experts it was about the lack of entries in general.

it goes back to last august wher

Just now, baldilocks said:

it goes back to last august where a number of events had 20 - 30 riders.

so whats wrong with 20/30 riders ?why do clubs feel they have to get a large entry   

13 minutes ago, on it said:

so whats wrong with 20/30 riders ?why do clubs feel they have to get a large entry   

Because depending on land costs etc it may not be economically viable to run the event and if entry fees were increased to accommodate the low entry numbers less riders would enter, we all know how tight trials riders are, and the club would then have to fold.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old trials fanatic said:

Because depending on land costs etc it may not be economically viable to run the event and if entry fees were increased to accommodate the low entry numbers less riders would enter, we all know how tight trials riders are, and the club would then have to fold.  

if due to land shortage you are hiring MOD or forestry land (lets say costs of £1k to £2K) then the club has to have a real big entry to make it viable (even when that's met, then land still gets pulled). even a "normal" venue would require a decent (40+ 50+ etc) entry to pay a sensible land hire (thats without other costs like toilets). Entries of 30 and under and only any good if the land is free or a nominal fee (bottle of whiskey, free ride, etc).

• Like 1

Low entry events lack the atmosphere of a larger event,also most observers are friends or family of the riders,so in a low entry event observers are hard to get.This leads to some sections being self scored and sometimes suspect winners.The honest riders get fed up with this and don't turn up ,so you get less riders.

Seems to me there's too many small events,sometimes on the same day competing for the same pool of riders.I feel it would be better if the clubs affected could come up with a calendar to avoid this,maybe running bi monthly instead of asking the same few to organise it all every month 

• Like 2

Could it be that there are too many trials and people just become bored of riding.  A 5 lap of 8 sections, or a trial with an entry of 25 riders hardly gets many people excited.  Harpy back, to coin a phrase,  trials ran September ish to April ish.. after a summer break,  less a few evening / afternoon trials, riders we champing and ready to get back into it.  Less is more.... better quality events,  better date planning may help.   

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 8:40 AM, nigel dabster said:

Clearly though you are harping back to the 70/80s I can actually see your point, but as its 2017 riding your bike even if it were road legal isnt an option in most towns and cities in the uk.

How this relates to entries im not sure, but insurance at about 100 isnt bad, and our problems are much more than "small tanks" which is another dadoff red herring.

Yes I was looking back to the era that ended when the TY monos were superseded. For a youngster, insurance and the costs of getting a licence for even a 125 cc are considerable, near prohibitive for a 250 or 300. I agree problems are much more than small tanks (that is just one factor that reduces a bikes versatility). I live in the country and its bad enough riding a low seat bike here, let alone in busy city traffic. Quite a few people round here who would have bought a trials bike (if they were more versatile and fully road legal) have now bought enduros.

As some have suggested there may be merit in having fewer and better trials. Westmorland Motor club has a very good 3 class (easy, green & hard) 2 route system. The green course is a combination of the harder easy route sections and the easier hard route sections.

A significant reason I am now less inclined to enter trials is that I just do not have the interest I used to.