Dave cooper rack on a volvo

wispyone

Good morning, iv had a good search around the site and still can't find the answer. I'm looking at getting my first trials bike and need to sort a method of transport

What I'm after is if I get a rack for the back of my Volvo V40 (63plate) and have the bike secured will the boot still open? And how close to the rear of the car will it be? 

If anyone has pictures of the above set up it would be appreciated 

Cheers 

Richard 

Edited by wispyone

27 minutes ago, telecat said:

I use a Dave Cooper on a V60 which has a similar profile. No you can't open the hatch when it's on. You can loosen it and pull it away and get it open but it will not be secure.

Thank you telecat, just need to sort a towbar now :)

I would recommend the Witter detachable "flange" :rolleyes: towbar. The racks only work with the Flange type with a detachable tow ball.  I have used them with the Dave Cooper for 8 years with no problems. The Dave Cooper we have dates back to 2001 and it has been used on several cars. All the bits are still in good if slightly rusty condition as the ones back then weren't galvanised.

Edited by telecat
clearer meaning.

Evening telecat, I messaged Dave Cooper and he stated I need a 2 bolt flange towbar with 7 pin electrics. Looking at the Witter towbars for my car they are around £450 (gulp)

I have had a quote of £309 from indespension, fully fitted for a 2 bolt flange with electrics .

Not gonna jump in yet as I am still looking for a first bike :)

On another note if and when I get a bike i may see you down at Bumpy, it's 5 mins down the road from my house. Perfect 

Thank you for all the replies in relation to tow bars, I have now got car booked in for one fitting next week.

One area of concern though is securing the bike to rack, ok it will be strapped down so it won't move/fall off. But what about little scrotes  at filling stations etc walking past with a knife and cutting straps and nicking the bike?

Do you also lock/chain them on or am I being paranoid?

Richard

I used two straps both about 10 metres long. I hooked on to the rear front loop, wrapped it round the rear tyre though the top hoop several times leaving enough to go though the ratchet which was on the rear hook. The Front went from the rear loop. twice around the fork leg though the wheel twice around the outer fork leg and though the ratchet and gently tightened up. The Ratchet goes on the same loop on the crossbar as the strap.I used some Pipe insulation on the rear Upright to stop the wheel paint being rubbed away. Even if it was cut the rear would need them to stand and unravel it before making off. The Bike went as far as Surrey from Leeds and back using this method. It allows the bike to move gently but not dismount.

46 minutes ago, telecat said:

I used two straps both about 10 metres long. I hooked on to the rear front loop, wrapped it round the rear tyre though the top hoop several times leaving enough to go though the ratchet which was on the rear hook. The Front went from the rear loop. twice around the fork leg though the wheel twice around the outer fork leg and though the ratchet and gently tightened up. The Ratchet goes on the same loop on the crossbar as the strap.I used some Pipe insulation on the rear Upright to stop the wheel paint being rubbed away. Even if it was cut the rear would need them to stand and unravel it before making off. The Bike went as far as Surrey from Leeds and back using this method. It allows the bike to move gently but not dismount.

Ha that's a point I need to add ratchet straps to the never ending shopping list :)

Towbar, rack, ratchet straps, number plate board, ground anchor, another lock and chain ( have a decent one at present but not sure it's long enough for both bikes) bike stand......... oh and boots, trousers, jacket.    Gulp !

And a bike.   :)

Edited by wispyone

15 hours ago, wispyone said:

Ha that's a point I need to add ratchet straps to the never ending shopping list :)

Towbar, rack, ratchet straps, number plate board, ground anchor, another lock and chain ( have a decent one at present but not sure it's long enough for both bikes) bike stand......... oh and boots, trousers, jacket.    Gulp !

And a bike.   :)

Once you have all the gear above, its a relatively cheap sport. (Apart from breakages !!)

• Like 1