Leaky gear shaft MAR

nickyburnell

Hello, on my MAR there is a sort of -  'felt' washer on the gear lever shaft as well as the O ring ,  when both are in good condition the leakage is reduced , but not eliminated.

Have looked at machining the cover to accept an oil seal but haven't got round to it as I think there isn't enough thickness of metal to remove to get to the size of hole needed for an oil  seal ( I could be wrong )

I did think of moving the side stand from the left side to the right side to eliminate the oil drip when the bike is parked up !

At the moment I have given up  on this annoying drip and just accept it as part of owning a 1970s Spanish bike 

Hope this is helpful

• Like 1

You might consider carefully polishing the o ring area of the shaft using Scotchbrite or super fine sandpaper.  

Then, use tne original o ring to get a size for it, then try a firmer rubber compound such as a 90 duro type.

Then again, if the case has corrosion pits in the o ring groove, it may be best to modify the case for a seal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pmk said:

You might consider carefully polishing the o ring area of the shaft using Scotchbrite or super fine sandpaper.  

Then, use tne original o ring to get a size for it, then try a firmer rubber compound such as a 90 duro type.

Then again, if the case has corrosion pits in the o ring groove, it may be best to modify the case for a seal.

Thanks

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, pmk said:

that's good advise ,

O rings come in different types of rubber and different thicknesses also,

may only need a firmer compound or  a fraction thicker material to make the difference,

if your clutch cover just slips straight over the gearshaft with no resistance/friction then the O ring may be too thin even if its the right diameter ,

problem is the easily available O rings all seem to be soft cheap rubber and not as thick as you may need