TY250A Oil Pump advice

johnnyjazz

Dear highly esteemed and revered trials friends,  Thank you so very much for all advice given thus far, it is testimony to the positivity of the internet.

Few questions for your delectation and perusal with regards the oil pump if any one is kind enough, i am a beginner so i hope you can be patient with me!....

I think its safe to assume this oil pump is not working.  Is there any benefit to getting it operational again or is it totally best to go the pre-mix route- and what is the premix ratio- is it 32/1?  

Like i say im a bit of a greenhorn with the mechanics but getting more confident as i work through the bike.  its kind of spiritual as i slowly get the bike back to nice condition, i feel like i am restoring myself too.  (we're both '74)

Were the original oil pumps that lamentable that everybody went pre-mix?

- and trying to get my head round the engine...i can see the two pipes that have been blocked off obviously connect, but where does the oil dripper ring thing go that's hanging down...is that supposed to go inside the engine somewhere?

also, am happy to donate to the site but cant see any links?

Many many thanks and best regards from NYC,

johnny :)

20170830_154806.jpg

20170830_154822.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz

Thank you so much for replies, esp -oni nou- for such a detailed, concise and thorough explanation.  really appreciated! 

I spent the last hour or two googling and quickly realized the wealth of knowledge already there -going back decades- with regards this topic.

apologies for regurgitating an already discussed issue, but thoroughly grateful for current help!

@lineaway, yeah it all looks hooked up and turns but ive been reading its much better to get a new single cable anyway so think i might go down that route.

is there any harm on just leaving it as it is (and starting to use premix) or should i remove it altogether? -and if so i understand i need to take the right side clutch cover off.  is this something a novice could attempt or is it easy to mess up...many thanks always and i hope to get my training wheels off soon and get this baby on the road!

best vibes!

My 250C had the pump removed when I got it, the drive was still there & was all that was required to keep the cover sealed. I removed the drive & fitted a blanking plate kit from TY Trials when I rebuilt the bottom end as there was no point in leaving it there

If memory is correct the oil line connects directly to the cylinder on the side of the intake unlike the later models which used mikuni carbs & had the line connected at the front end of the carb

• Like 1

Thanks tony and Kia ora! i see from your profile you are from palmy.  i lived 10 years in wellington! love kiwi mountain. i used to have a nice modern beta when i lived out there but im in NYC now and randomly stumbled on this old ty250a that i just had to buy....though its a lot more work than a modern bike that's for sure! esp for a novice mechanic like myself, its an enjoyable project.  do you know of they ever make a haynes/clymer for the A model? ive never seen one online, only the B model.....thanks for all your help :)

The manual I have is the Cycleserv B model one which works on both newer & older models. The 250 is not covered by any of the major players from what I've seen & is definitely less popular than the 175

Having lived in Wellington & owned a Beta you should have met John Lawton the Beta importer, my TY is actually owned by him with me being allowed to do whatever I like to it like aluminium axles with the front replicating modern bikes. 

There is a lot of great riding in the Wellington region, I've spent a lot of time in the hills behind Paraparaumu riding both trials & trail riding with a bunch of other trials riders on our bikes

• Like 1

If your Oil pump has been left on the engine and is still rotating with the engine running , yet has no oil passing through it , I wouldn't think this does the pump internals any good.

I could be wrong but I would guess this would cause a lot of wear in the pump , I personally wouldn't trust the pump now and would use Premix or get a new pump if they are available

• Like 2

Thank you all again for your wonderful help and sense of community!  and yes, @Tony27...it was indeed John L who got me back into trials when i moved to NZ from the UK!  when/if you next talk to him pls send him my very best (he'll remember me as johnny saxophone- i left NZ in 07)  i started out on TYs  growing up and learnt to ride at the Dove holes trials quarry in Derbyshire so it  was nostalgia that prompted me to randomly grab this bike.  great to know the B model cycle serve manual covers covers the A model too. i see i can get one off ebay from motueka NZ funnily enough! 

if the pump is shot -which i assume it is if its been turning dry- im guessing other than the weight issue, there is no real harm just leaving it as it is?  id hate to try and take it out and do something wrong.  or is it so simple a monkey could do it?

super glad i found this out before hardly any engine time, the guy i bought it off thought the pumped worked - although it came from someone who had it in a man cave for 30 years so he really wasn't sure. 

and @feetupfun i found your endless knowledge on this subject on other threads and forums, so a big retro thank you for sharing your extreme wealth of mechanical skills with others!

i can only aspire to learn to be as good as you guys with regards A, actually riding and B, engine maintenance!

best wishes and bright moments :)