Diaphragm vs basket clutch.

leosantanalg

Don't fix what ain't broke perhaps?  Given the problems many seem to encounter with the diaphragm clutches maybe Beta feel that those riders comprising their market don't need the supposed performance improvement for the type of sections they ride?  World Champ technology is not necessarily better for all.

• Like 1

Beta and Montesa seem to think the traditional basket clutch is fine and I can't say it doesn't work.  Find the best oil for your riding stile and maybe change the lever (different leverage point) and most of us mortal riders seem to do fine.

On the other side of the fence a well setup diaphragm clutch can have super light pull and amazing action (hard or soft) depending on setup.  

My wife's Gas Gas is diaphragm and my Montesa is basket so I have played with both plenty.  I like them both in different ways. But for me it's a wash if you ask witch is better.

Interestingly Casales was the first rider to clean my section at the US GP. He also was the only rider to use a different line at the entrance rock. There was a hole forming next to a log that was catching riders pegs as they attempted third gear splatters. He just rode a larger wall. This section averaged the most fives from every class.

A properly set up diaphragm clutch exerts maximum pressure on the plates at the point they are fully engaged which is what you want to avoid slipping. As the clutch is disengaged the pressure required drops so you get a lighter action and less hand fatigue. With a coil spring clutch the spring force is at a maximum when the clutch is fully disengaged and at its minimum when the clutch is fully engaged. This means your hand has to work harder to operate a coil spring clutch.These comments apply to hydraulic clutches. Cable operated clutches can have more compensation built into the cam, lever and operating arm angles.

• Like 5

Kind of the same way if a 2-stroke motor were better for trials there would be one in Bou's bike? Manufacturers do a lot of things because they fit with company politics. I'm not saying one clutch is or isn't better, I just think Honda likes to do its thing and isn't really worried about anyone else, so it's probably not a good means of comparison simply saying 'Honda didn't do it, so it's not better'.

• Like 4

There seems to be some misunderstanding on this topic. A diaphragm clutch is a basket clutch. Both diaphragm and coil spring clutches (on trials bikes) have an outer basket. The diaphragm clutch has fewer plates and hence can be a bit slimmer. As I posted previously a diaphragm clutch requires less work to fully disengage it. This is useful on machine tools were the clutch may operate many millions of times but on a trials bike feel and partial engagement characteristics are probably more important the difference between the two types are probably less than personal preference.

• Like 1

As you have seen a lot of comments on it's all about setup.

a better question is what do you want it to be like and what type do you have and then we can give some input on what we have and how we got it that way so you can compare and decide what you want to try and/or do to get what your after or think you want.

then if you like it great, if not you can undo it or try something different.

I should have also indicated, if you don't have one then first try a few bikes and see what bike you like and then go from there.  

We can help you make ether type quick or progressive.  :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1