Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

b182

2003 Beta Rev3 How strong front brake should be?

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I'm wondering how strong should it be. I think my is a little too weak. It doesn't stop the wheel immediately. When i try to do stoppie it's very hard to block the wheel. It's bleed correctly (I think so). I even cleaned disc with solvent. I don't know is that ok that i've to use a lot of force. Any suggestions.

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Try dragging the brake until it is (not too) hot then spray water on to it.  This should improve the bite, assuming pads are in good order.

Are You sure? It could bend the brake disc!

12 hours ago, b182 said:

Are You sure? It could bend the brake disc!

Ride along with the brake on so the brake is HOT hot so you cannot touch it with your hand without a glove on.......brake discs are designed to get hot; they work by friction and friction produces heat,F1 car discs glow orange under heavy braking they get so hot [yes I know they are not made of stainless steel]......it will not bend when you pour cold water on it out of a bottle etc, unless of course your braking method is using a hammer. 

This is a well known way of improving the stopping power of your brakes,not madness dreamed up by one person,the water boiling and bubbling on contacting the disc probably lifts dirt and contaminants from the disc surface....a sort of degreasing meaning the pads can build more friction

the discs can also be degreased/ cleaned with brake cleaner obviously.

Edited by oni nou

Yes, I know that brakes are designed to get hot and cold but I also know that fast cooling of very hot brake can bend the disc due to temperature expansion of metal. But if You say so I'll try that way. Thanks

5 hours ago, b182 said:

Yes, I know that brakes are designed to get hot and cold but I also know that fast cooling of very hot brake can bend the disc due to temperature expansion of metal. But if You say so I'll try that way. Thanks

Did not mean to imply you know nothing about this;its just easier to give more details about the subject in case anyone who reads the post has no mechanical knowledge at all.

Your front brake if all the seals are in good condition and it is properly bled with fresh clean fluid and a clean smooth surfaced degreased disc with some brake pads that give good friction levels and the lever has 2 to 3 mm free play measured at the end of the lever should be capable of locking the front wheel at walking speed with one finger pulling fairly hard on the lever .......everyone has their favourite brake pads,the ones I find to work best are Goldfren S33.........one of the most important parts is getting the most solid pull at the lever by bleeding the system perfectly; which can take a lot of work sometimes. Good luck.

Edited by oni nou

Thanks. I'll try bleed it again because the lever in not hard( i dont know how to say it in english). The lever works like its rubber inside of the mastercinder. In my previous bike (ktm) it was much harder or stiffer whatever. 

What's more when i was checking the brake system I accidentally spilled some brake fluid on brake pads. I cleaned them with some thinner or something but maybe theres an problem. Is there the other way to clean them up better or I have to buy new ones?

Edited by b182

You can't successfully clean the pads,you need new ones.Ensure the disc is perfectly clean before you fit them,use brake cleaner aerosol and plenty of it

If it still feels poorly after you bleed it you will need a rebuild kit.

How cold should be the water?

Guy

Are rear brake pads the same as in front? I think yes so  I'll try to put them to the front. We'll see if there is any difference.  

11 hours ago, guy53 said:

How cold should be the water?

Guy

out of the  tap of your house .

Yes the water treatment does help a lot.

Guy

Hi guys! I changed brake pads from rear to the front and the brake is very strong. So I have to buy new brake pads -they were the problem.

1 person likes this