2000 Beta Rev3 gear ratio

trialmarc

Hello!

I am a newbie to trials (enduro/mx riding previously) and recently purchased 2000 Rev3 (primarily reason: it is pre-2002 model, so it allows year round riding around California public off-road parks). I find first and second gear to be very low, and a couple of experienced trials riders also mentioned this when they rode the bike. It currently has 10 teeth front, and 42 teeth rear. What do you recommend I change?

An additional constraint that seems to be worrying is that the rear sprocket is 6 hole sprocket, and majority of the rear sprockets that i find on the market are 4 hole sprockets. So, is the easiest would be to switch to 11 teeth front since the front sprocket design seems to be the same across beta models?

Really appreciate your help! Thank you

The 11 tooth was still too low for first, but made second too tall. The 10 was used to be ridden in second gear most of the time. First was only used for really tight sections. My 2016 is using that same gearing. Not too worry about the 6 hole sprocket, it is a stronger hub and you can still easily get replacements. Just not on your keyboard, you have to use a phone.