'Ol Blu and 'Ol Yeller...

thai-ty

Identical in every way, bar the paint jobs.

Steel tanks, frame brackets cut and basically converted from S to R spec.

Lowered, straight down, not back, wider footrests.

Shortened steel kick start lever. Modified custom k/start stop. Grease nipple added to rear brake lever. Drilled bash plate.

6" Renthals. Talon sprockets, steel front, alloy rear, stock '84 gearing 10/42T.

Lots of stainless fasteners, allen heads tapered, hex heads faced off and made concave to lighten.

Stock TK carbs, bar bigger main jets. Stock air filter lid snorkel removed, and lid opened up on the milling machine.

Boyesen dual stage power reeds fitted and the recommended Boyesen reed cage mod done.

Stock ignition and full flywheel weights fitted.

Exhaust header burnt out and cleaned, exhaust mid box, cut, cleaned, burnt out, recleaned.  repacked and gas welded back together. New DEP alloy silencers fitted.

Made in Thailand new fiberglass rear mudguards.

New paint, decals and seats recovered.

Dry weight, no fuel, no oil, 85 kgs.

They go as well as they look.

phone photos to sept 2017 348.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tony27 said:

Very nice. Is the different looking brake pedal due to the lowered footpegs?

Thank you.

Stock '84 two piece steel brake levers. Angle altered on the rear spline to allow for the footrests and levers to be in the right plane and fit my boots. Work a treat.

For some reason I prefer the yellow version, although I did like the Birkett TY he did in blue for the Scottish. Both of yours look very nice though

Have you thought of adding a Yamaha logo or tuning fork to the fuel tank as it looks a little bare without a manufacturer identification?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, teamferret said:

Are those stock rims or a Thai version?

Stock DID 32 hole Yamaha gold anodized rims. See my other thread, of finding the best 2 pairs of rims from 9 rims. Corrosion internally was bad on two particular rear rims, the fronts weren't too bad.

Common alloy rims here are either 36 or 40 hole.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, mattylad said

For some reason I prefer the yellow version, although I did like the Birkett TY he did in blue for the Scottish. Both of yours look very nice though

Have you thought of adding a Yamaha logo or tuning fork to the fuel tank as it looks a little bare without a manufacturer identification?

Thanks.

Yeah, Yeller is the one I built for my lad. He's 12 next month and nearly comfortable sitting on it, but still a bit too tippy toes, another 6 months he should have grown enough to be confident enough to learn to ride it. One of the reasons I built two was for us to do some motorcycle bonding... Prior to putting them together he had the choice, kids just love yellow and black - Bumblebee etc. Plus if you have a stable of Yamahas, ya gotta have one in yellow.

Me, personally prefer Blu, my Yamaha homage to the last of the Bultacos.

In my previous life i've built dozens of motorcycles, both professionally and commercially, and privately. Many of the bikes I built were featured in magazines and the (in)famous Crossbow calender. All road legal bikes, mainly custom Triumph twins. Most of them did not have a manufacturers logo on the tank's paint job. Just not my thing. My Guzzi I still have, is the odd exception, and does indeed say Moto Guzzi in gold on the tank. My Triumph (see Introduce Yourself thread) er, does not.

I never, ever, thought or wanted the Yamaha logo nor the tuning fork on these, hell Speed Blocks shout Yamaha as it is (did I tell you I love Speed Blocks?), and I didn't want the tank to shout "look at me, i'm made in Japan", no offence intended, not having owned or built a Japanese bike since I was 18. These are the 2nd and 3rd trials bikes I've built ground up, the first being a Cota 247 in 2003 (silver frame, white guards and blue tank).

Regards,

Mike.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, pbear62 said:

Excellent job Mike - I particularly like the yellow one.

Too nice to get dirty now though!

Cheers, Andy

Thank you.

Not dirty, but 'Ol Yeller is having a replacement tank sprayed as I speak, as the one pictured developed a leak on the bottom rear R/H corner and obviously did the paint in, in that area. That tank is now being repaired locally. 'Ol Blu has a small crack and chip in the glass rear guard where I, er, fell off, sort of, 3rd gear wheelie which was not controlled very well. Trials bikes - it's all about control, and putting the bike exactly to within 2" of where you want it to go... still learning that one....