CDI

tommer2

Hi Guys. Need some advice. I'm going to use the Electrex CDI unit on my Cub. I'd like to use the earlier pre points in the side sidecover. After taking out all the non used stuff (points plate, points and advance unit) what will I have to do besides putting the earlier side cover on. Thanks in advance. 

I run two engines both fitted with Electrex ignition One is fitted using the studs on the outer clutch case (a bit tricky to time) The other uses pegs fitted on the inner crank case ( much easier to time )both run OK I would leave the points case on just remove the points as they are no longer needed The first one has ran for a number of years now plus a pre 65 SSDT  Hoe this helps  

If you want to change to an earlier plain outer cover , it is a little more involved than first thinking....

I have done it , to use an earlier inner cover that was less worn on the kickstart hole , then realised points  camshaft bushes are different sizes in cover 

I ended up making bushes and changing camshafts ( with all the fun of the cam followers dropping down..)  with hindsight I should have just lived with the leaky gearbox ....

Easiest option is , as already advised ,remove points .

Second option is to read up on part numbers of covers / cams/ bushes  and see what will fit , when /if you decide to proceed you are left with other options , closed cam bushes and blocking of oil ( and dirty water )return hole at base of cover , it just snowballs ( nothing on a trials cub is straight forward ) 

If it is just for looks , and it is working well , i would leave it alone and enjoy your trouble free ignition