Stuck swingarm axle on a sherco 250 2004

riostomi

Hi, i am trying to take the engine out. The last part i need to remove before i can take it out is the swingarm axle, but its stuck. I checked the sherco dissasembly manual and in there it only said "remove swingarm bolt". Am i missing something here or its just rotten in, and if it is can someone point me in the right direction what can i do?

6 hours ago, oni nou said:

It is stuck with corrosion no doubt.[ not greased up before being put in] ........have you tried using a heat gun to warm the engine casings local to where the swingarm axle passes through [do not heat the axle itself]

Not yet as i don't have a heat gun, but i will buy one to try that. I was thinking about the corrosion too because i spent about 10 minutes trying to get the rear wheel axle out as well...<_<. The bike is in good condition otherwise but I think it has been sitting for a couple of years. Thank you.

Edited by riostomi

5 hours ago, pauls320 said:

You know its Aluminum and will ''mushroom'' the end if you beat on it...Right? use piece of wood or plastic for a drift....gentle....

Yes of course i was not going full gorilla on it :D. At this point i wouldnt even care if i have to buy a new one, they aren't that expensive.

Worse case scenario is you have to get it drilled out.

Try buying a 10mm hex bit that fits a socket set & use your longest bar - not ratchet when you apply the heat, if you can get the axle to turn but it still won't come out then it is stuck in the steel sleeves in the swingarm & you'll need them & probably all the suspension bearings as well

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same problem and ended up shearing the head off the axel bolt as it aluminium. I used a pin punch that fitted in the hole on the theaded end of the axel bolt and after a few good hits with a 5lb hammer it moved, once it was out far enough I got a set of grips on the pin so I could turn it back and forth until it loosened off. Replacement axle bolt and nut cost £30.

Edited by typerossy

Hey, sometimes engine weight pushes down on swingarm axle and pinches it, for lack of better word.

You probably have 2 or 3 points where engine is mounted to the frame/radiator. You can loosen up all of them bolts but not remove them.

Then try to wiggle the engine, see if there's any movement up/down and left/right and diagonally as well. If there's play use it to your advantage, at some stage swingarm axle should become free of anything pushing down, or to the sides or diagonally and then it will come out.

This worked for me on 2 bikes, axles were not corroded but kind of pinched, because of the way engine was mounted and then bolted up. best to have 2 person so one person wiggles engine, other is trying to lightly punch and see if axle is in loose position. 

9 hours ago, typerossy said:

I had the same problem and ended up shearing the head off the axel bolt as it aluminium. I used a pin punch that fitted in the hole on the theaded end of the axel bolt and after a few good hits with a 5lb hammer it moved, once it was out far enough I got a set of grips on the pin so I could turn it back and forth until it loosened off. Replacement axle bolt and nut cost £30.

Yes, i ended up doing the same thing. Axle 20, nut 10 quid. I dont really get why anybody wouldnt grease these up, it takes about 5 minute to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, klonheadd said:

Hey, sometimes engine weight pushes down on swingarm axle and pinches it, for lack of better word.

You probably have 2 or 3 points where engine is mounted to the frame/radiator. You can loosen up all of them bolts but not remove them.

Then try to wiggle the engine, see if there's any movement up/down and left/right and diagonally as well. If there's play use it to your advantage, at some stage swingarm axle should become free of anything pushing down, or to the sides or diagonally and then it will come out.

This worked for me on 2 bikes, axles were not corroded but kind of pinched, because of the way engine was mounted and then bolted up. best to have 2 person so one person wiggles engine, other is trying to lightly punch and see if axle is in loose position. 

Unfortunatelly it was not the case for me, as it was totally corroded in. Tried the same thing but in the end i had to use a hammer and had to go full gorilla on it to remove it.