M27 exhaust front pipe

borderbultaco

Hello, I liberated a M27 in what I now know is an early M49 frame from 35 years slumber in an open fronted cow shed. The rebuilds coming along now with just one major component missing. The exhaust front pipe. Does the M27 and M49 use the same pipe? Where on earth do I get one? (in motion can't help). 

Happy days

Peter

Taco as was.jpg

• Like 3

No, the M27 pipe runs higher where it goes over the head. M49 Sherpa T head is the same except it has cut-away fins to allow the pipe to run lower. If you are not worried about it looking like a M49, you could fit an M49 head. They are way more common than M27 heads because the head from the M49 is used on M80 Sherpa T and Alpina M85 and all three of these models sold very well while the M27 only sold something like 1200.  Using a head with cutaway fins would also allow you to use that M49 tank, which would be too low underneath for a M27 pipe to fit under.

Another option would be to cut the fins away to provide clearance for a M49 header. Please don't do that though. I would be happy to do a head swap with you because I would like an M27 head and have spare M49 heads.

Ah, Thanks both for the information. I think I would prefer to keep the motor all M27 as its a bit rare (no. 00364) and as I did ride the bike around 30 years ago I am sure the original pipe is around the barn somewhere - the engine was taken out for a rebuild at home - bad starting from hot - so why take the pipe too, especially as the rest of the bike was in one piece?

Motors now fully refurbed thanks to Inmotion. 

Thanks again for the help. If interested I will post a couple of pics once the motor is back in the frame and starting to look useable.

Pete

• Like 4

On 9/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, jc2 said:

Try the Matador Mk3 (M26) and/or Mk4 (M75 - not the M82 SD model)) pipe. You may find it fits the M27 engine.

(I'll look at mine tomorrow if I remember)

I checked my M26 Matador engine and pipe. The pipe does clear the head with no cut fins 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for taking a look. I will widen my search to include M26 and M75. 

Pete

Update: InMotion are having a batch produced so I have added my name to the list.

Whilst writing, my cylinder head has 6 holes - 4 line up with the studs which is fine, the other 2 fore and aft of the plug match up to threaded holes in the barrel but no bolts and no mention of these holes in the manual. Is it a case of one head for all models?

Pete

Bultaco engine complete.jpg

Should have 2  8x20x62 studs in the barrel but 8x45 bolt should do

with the header pipe I'd be getting one made up for your bike all the header pipes are slightly different even for individual models so for a 27 in a 49 frame I doubt you'll get one that will fit nicely

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, borderbultaco said:

Thanks for taking a look. I will widen my search to include M26 and M75. 

Pete

Update: InMotion are having a batch produced so I have added my name to the list.

Whilst writing, my cylinder head has 6 holes - 4 line up with the studs which is fine, the other 2 fore and aft of the plug match up to threaded holes in the barrel but no bolts and no mention of these holes in the manual. Is it a case of one head for all models?

Pete

Bultaco engine complete.jpg

Hi BorderBultaco

I might of misunderstood your post as to what inmotion are having a batch of produced ,I contacted them to put my name on the list for a m27 exhaust pipe if they were producing some and was told they have no plans to produce this pipe and don't know of anybody who does manufacture them for this model.

Regards

Geoff

Edited by cuzzy