Gear selection tips

jcolorado

I am new to trials, really new.  I just picked up my first bike this week.  With that said I have a million questions but one of the most pressing is which gear should I be in.  One of my friends that has been riding trials for awhile says he rarely gets out of first gear.  I have read some tips that say you should be shifting up to third gear for getting over larger obstacles.  Anyway, does anyone have a couple of tips?

Depends a lot on which bike you are riding. Then it depends on what gearing you are using. Sherco  Gas Gas and Montesa usually come with a taller first gear. People that ride higher elevations usually gear these bikes down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket. First gear is the best to learn to  ride trials. Second gear will get you over about anything, third is more of a hill climb type gear. Riding in second and above requires some clutch work, but some bikes even pull 4th gear well. Myself on a Beta I usually ride second gear 90% of the time.

• Like 2

Just getting out on the bike and acquiring a feel for how each gear drives will probably teach you more in half an hour than reading about it. If you get the chance to watch experienced riders, you'll probably be amazed to start with at how they are apparently working the clutch almost constantly, whichever gear they're in: quite unlike any other form of motorcycling you may be used to.

• Like 2

Also depends on how slippery it is.On the clay or chalk we ride locally climbs that are easily ridden in 1st when dry need 3rd or 4th when wet.As suggested get out on the bike and experiment,you use the clutch on a trials bike far more than any other discipline.Its a steep learning curve,don't expect too much too soon,the good guys took a long time to get good and struggled when they started 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have always ridden rocky stream sections in a high gear (3rd.).  The logic being that, if the rocks are passing by at speed, you are more reluctant to put your foot down..   If you tried it in first, then each rock would be an obstacle, and if your front wheel drops in, you don't have the momentum to lift it clear.   This technique can however result in some spectacular fives..!

For the slow speed sections, you may need first, and use the clutch.  So practice balancing on a stationary bike, and take your time.   If the section has portions of slow and fast bits most riders will use the higher gear, rather than change gear in the section.

Some Go-Pro video (perspective may be incorrect because of wide angle lens.)

.http://www.gresfordclassictrials.co.uk/videos.php

Edited by scifi