New Cota 4rt260 Hard to start.

kniggt

My new bike is extremely hard to start and very unpredictable. I never give it any throttle and It takes forever to get it started, usually after about 10 kicks I hold the throttle open and kick it a couple times to reset it and after doing that a couple times it will start. Then this morning I go out and first kick it starts.  Then after it's been running whenever I turn it off and then try to restart it I have to go through the same procedure, kick it a bunch then hold throttle open. it usualy takes anywhere from 10 to 20 kicks.  I read somewhere that pushing it instead of hard kicking it seems to help so I've tried that as well.  Any tips or suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance!

You need to raise your Idle. It should be set at 1800 RPM. See your manual for the location. Turning the idle screw out will raise the idle. I normally do a reset after 3-4 kicks. 10-20 is too many. Or you need a new spark plug.

Make sure you have a little play in the throttle and that the air filter does not have too much oil on it. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 1:35 AM, cragvale said:

I had exactly the same problem with my Montesa. New iridium plug sorted issue.

Never fails to amaze me, how easy my bike starts even after weeks sat doing nothing. 

It is definitely a push more than Gas Gas style kick.

I might try swapping plugs, what plug are you using?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing you can do is get an hour meter that shows RPM.   The one ride engineering makes for KTM four strokes works, although you need to make sure you have some double sided tape (or if you ordered from them, make sure they send you some.  You can install it without taking anything apart.  I got rid of the elaborate tank vent system and placed mine on the frame on the kick starter side up by the top of the triple clamp.

Works connection also makes one.......

Edited by motomickey
  • Like 1