No spark

nubsey

Have just acquired a gas gas 125 txt 2000. Had to rebuild the clutch and put back the kick start etc.

Have yet to put oil and water in it.

Checked for a spark as I would like to start it for a few seconds, just to check that the kickstart is fitted ok. I.E. no ratcheting when the engine is running. Anyway there is no spark that I could see. Have replaced the spark plug and checked the kill switch. There is voltage getting to the plug, as when kicked over and holding the spark plug you get quite a belt from it. My grandson said he felt it go all the way up his arm. Anyone any ideas as sometimes these things are quite simple. The trouble is I am an old points type man.

Also I think it might have a carbon lead. I hate these but are they fitted with carbon leads,

All the best 

Nubsey

Hi Lineaway thanks for the reply. Bought the bike as a spares or repair. The young lad who owned it said it bugged out. I had to ask what that meant. It dies when revved. So he was changing a seal in the clutch case. Anyway bought the bike as my Grandson is becoming a petrol head, just like his grandpapa was at his age.

This is something we can both work on. I have never seen him so excited. He looked like he had a permanent grin glued to his face. So today we put in a brand new clutch and reassembled the bike. So yes it is all put back together. Also we put in a brand new sparkplug, althought the old one worked in my lawn mower. The bike has been sitting in a garage for the last couple of years  so who knows what has happened to it. As I said points and coils etc no problem but cdi etc, is something I now have to learn. Can you tell me do they have carbon sparkplug leads, as their screw in ngk fitting that goes on the sparkplug lead to fit on the spark plug. but I cannot see any copper wire, and I don't want to cut it back to see if there is any.

Will look at all the earthing points that I can find and clean them etc.

Any other help wil be most welcome. 

Nubsey

Thanks b40rt, yes a very good idea, but one thing at a time, lets get a spark, or no matter how clean the carb is it still won't go.

Have put the oil and water in it. So perhaps a few trys at bump starting next weekend. Anyway have cut 1/2 " of the ignition lead and it is copper wire. Also will get a new sparkplug cap, as the old one is U.S. There is no major hurry. Will also take the coil pack out and give it all a good clean etc.

• Like 1

Have just put a miltimeter across the coil in the bike.

On the primary circuit it shows a short. To test this I removed the wire where the voltage comes in, and measured from the terminal and earth.

The secondary coil looks duff as well, there was a reading of ten ohms on my meter. So I think a new coil will be called for.

Will let you know what happens next.

New coil no good. 

Hi all the new coil arrived to day. It shows much the same readings on the multimeter as the old coil. It also will not give a spark.

I do get a spark when the HT wire is held close to the cylinder head, but it looks a bit weak. I am starting to lose the will to live.

Will try checking all the connections, but half of them you cannot get to, and still to find the cdi unit.

Really need an expert on this as it might be a bit beyond me.

Still the grandson is still a bright spark and thinks that granddad can fix it. HELP

Nubsey

Edited by nubsey

OK latest breaking news. Just been out now it's dark and there is a small spark at the sparkplug. But can only be seen when it's dark. Is this normal for gas gas machines. Am I flogging a dead horse carrying on or can I do better and get a nice big fat juicy spark.