Changed water pump seals but started to leak again already

Jakesherco250

8 hours ago, pauls320 said:

Make sure you get the seals installed the right way....tension springs have to be towards the fluid side that the are sealing in....and the bearing has to be on the transmission side of the oil seal....the factory parts diagram I have seen shows the bearing between the two seals, which is not correct. Hope you get rolling again soon:)  Oh ya, welcome to trialscentral

Thankyou I'll make sure there in correct now to save another headache :wall::lol:heading down to my local parts shop tonight to order the stuff to hopefully finally sort everything out 

10 hours ago, oni nou said:

Use a smear of silicone grease on the seal edges that the shaft passes through and a very thin smear on the outer edge that touches the case; to help it push in easily

Cheers, I'll do that:thumbup: ,hopefully everything will go smoothly now and it will reduce the wear slightly, just can't believe how a shaft can wear before a seal:huh::lol:

On 26/09/2017 at 6:06 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Most likely the shaft is worn where the seal rubs.

Just to be reassured before I order a shaft and more seals, when it began to leak again the day after it leaked a lot more than it did the first time. When it first leaked it was a drop every 10-15 seconds or so whereas now it's more like every 5 seconds. Just don't want to order a shaft put it all back and have to tear it apart again with there still being a problem, i know they are the main 2 things that can leak. Thanks for all your help so far it's much appreciated:thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Jakesherco250 said:

Just to be reassured before I order a shaft and more seals, when it began to leak again the day after it leaked a lot more than it did the first time. When it first leaked it was a drop every 10-15 seconds or so whereas now it's more like every 5 seconds. Just don't want to order a shaft put it all back and have to tear it apart again with there still being a problem, i know they are the main 2 things that can leak. Thanks for all your help so far it's much appreciated:thumbup:

The wear on the shaft of my Beta was fairly visible, as I recall, can't remember if it could be felt with a fingernail for example.  But your dealer said it seemed OK and he has seen it, I haven't.

24 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

The wear on the shaft of my Beta was fairly visible, as I recall, can't remember if it could be felt with a fingernail for example.  But your dealer said it seemed OK and he has seen it, I haven't.

Thanks for all the help 2stroke4stroke:thumbup: I'm going to order all of the bits of the waterpump, I'll post an update soon when it's all done :)

15 hours ago, tony27 said:

The shaft can get very noticeable polished grooves where the seals run before they leak, I'd say it's more likely that the seal is the problem with the contact surface being twisted during installation

I'm going to order more seals and another shaft, this time I'll lubricate the inner and outer side of the seals a little. from what I recall fitting them last time both seals went in easily but if they were to be twisted would that make it leak worse than just a worn seal. Also as you may have already read it started leaking again after around 4 hours of riding. 

15 hours ago, tony27 said:

The shaft can get very noticeable polished grooves where the seals run before they leak, I'd say it's more likely that the seal is the problem with the contact surface being twisted during installation

Also when I'm testing if the shaft moves around freely, I'm pressing the kickstart down to spin it and it all moves around  with no sounds or anything. Does this all seem ok? Am I not supposed to be able to move it with my hand?...  Sorry still a bit of a noob with bikes yet:lol:

27 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Visit these and you will find lots of information .....not necessarily about your actual make model of bike;but they all  basically work in the same way and use similar components even if they are put together in a different way/configuration.Here are the sites to visit.. www.shercousa.com and  trialspartsusa account on YouTube.the videos show GasGas and TRS bikes being stripped down/built up but it gives you a good idea of how the bikes are put together..your bike is very similar

Cheers for your help I'll have a look on them tonight whilst I'm working on it :thumbup: