Trials Bicycle for training?? take your own conclusions VIDEO INcluded

leosantanalg

I recently started a thread asking about a trials bicycle for cross training and the opinions were divided! I got an ECHO Mark IV 26" anyways and after riding for few weeks I was not so sure that the bicycle can really improve skills in the motorcycle. Yeah... we all know it improves balance, but other than that, the bicycle is still a lot of fun and great exercise which ultimately will improve athletic ability.     The following Video goes to show that the Bicycle might not be the answer! Otherwise I assume Smage would be a 22 time world champion instead Bou. 

we all know that Pat spends a lot of time in various bikes including unicycles! He is also an amazing Trials rider on a Sherco, but I doubt that he would mach with any of the top guys in the world in competition. 

This video is of him riding e-mountain bikes with Bou.  Take your conclusions!!    Once again... Both guys are amazing but in my opinion: If the skills were really transferable, Pat would ride better than Bou!

• Like 4

Something to consider with Pat is that part of what he dose is trick riding for shows to supplement his income and that kind of riding is different, Bou is paid to do nothing but trials, indoor and outdoor, so has a different focus.  Pat doesn't have the option to be as dedicated to it as Bou, Raga, Fugi, etc. so where I would guess he might have been (my opinion) if trials in the US was bigger.  

Where it isn't as transferable as moto-trials to enduro I think that my trials bike has helped me with my moto-trials a bit, and as you say is fun in its own way as well, so will keep doing it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

Oh, I have seen enough of him!! Unreal.  Maybe we should give him a trials motorcycle. lol  That would be the real proof whether or not the skills are transferable. 

There is a vid on youtube of him on an electric ktm riding with jonny walker.

Im sure he could tranfer some of his incredible skills to a trials bike.

IF he wanted to✊

I think many of the skills are transferable from mountain bike to trials motorbike. Take for example that backwards(fakie) front manual(stoppie) roll down the slope. Pat can do that on fat bikes and he transferred it to trials as he has shown on many other videos. I haven't seen anyone elso doing that.

Also he does without any problem 180 and 360 of little jumps on Mtb and also easily transfered that to heavier trials motorbike. He can even do things on trials motorbike like 360 tire tap, fakie 360 or backflip - these tricks would be coming from bmx/mtb.

So I think many skills are transferable, but pedal bike is just pedal bike, you are not practicing clutch/use of engine power so riding mtb can give you only so much. Pat approach is more freestyle , Toni is pure trials. I think both are at the highest level of their motorbike skills. 

Edited by klonheadd
  • Like 2

So what you are saying is that if Bou had spent all that bicycle training time on a moto, he would not be where he is today?

Maybe that's right.  I'm not arguing against it, but is it obviously and definitely the case?

I wasn't saying that's what you meant but rather asking.  Notice the question mark.

I suspect what most people really want to know is if bicycle trials is a faster/easier way to learn some skills, or if moto riding is our ultimate goal, should we just stick to that.

Most of us need all the shortcuts we can get :D

The cycle riding skills definitely help as you learn to get up and over obstacles just with body weight and loading the rear tyre to get the lift ,it also helps with balance.Takes a while to learn the throttle control when you try a motor bike,which is probably one of the hardest skills to learn.I don't think it's a coincidence that the Spanish riders all spent time on cycles before motorcycles to become the worlds best

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 9:27 PM, oni nou said:

Riding the trials bicycle and  using certain techniques such as getting the bike up on the back wheel and hopping on it for a length of time let alone jumping up or forwards while on the back wheel is a lot more difficult than the riders in the videos make it look as most things are.....unless you ride at a very high level then those extreme skills will not be needed in order to get through a competition section at club level,but if someone were to buy a trials bicycle and make the effort to learn the skills used on it; then you could practise around the home without causing too much disturbance to the neighbours and if it was a very regular practise session the riders balance would definitely improve and precision/timing in executing manoeuvres would be improved to.....it certainly would not be a waste of time..... go to www.trashzen.com for information

I would agree with this.

I have been on the MTB over 25 years.  I have had a street trials bicycle for only a couple years.  As for moto, as a kid I raced mx.  As a total beginer at moto trials, many of the skills and techniques learned from technical mtb riding, not fast flowy smooth trail riding help on the motorcycle.  Little things, such as weight placement, and momentum when needed come to mind.

My trials bicycle is an Inspired Fourplay street trials bike with 24”wheels.  Of everything I ride, and Tartybikes warned me when I ordered it, the 24” wheeled bike will be the greatest challenge to master.  As difficult as it is, the carryover makes other stuff seem less difficult to ride.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:35 AM, huski said:

The cycle riding skills definitely help as you learn to get up and over obstacles just with body weight and loading the rear tyre to get the lift ,it also helps with balance.Takes a while to learn the throttle control when you try a motor bike,which is probably one of the hardest skills to learn.I don't think it's a coincidence that the Spanish riders all spent time on cycles before motorcycles to become the worlds best

I bought a hardtail 29er recently, mainly to use for cross train, commute to work and fitness.. Seeing huski's comment, I found this video of all the ones about hopping was more realistic to trials with obstacle approach and unweight the rear 

. I chose a MTB as the longer wheelbase and heavier bike makes you work the technique more harder, relates better a an actual mototrials bike.