evo 250 or 300

danbillam

I've had a number of 300s, both 4t and 2t. Went back to a 250 for it's softer power. Would have got the 300ss if i had tried it first. Depending on you weight and experience, the 200 could very easily be the best bike for you.

• Like 1

200 is a superb underrated bike for mr Average. 250 very good. 300 2t will still walk away with you in slow going. 300SS =UK model with slow throttle & flywheel weight. I've had all models including 300 4T Factory . IMHO 250 2t best all round. 

I'm around 225lbs when lean at the minute. I haven't rode trials for years but just come from racing mountain bikes. and due to injury cant carry on. 

ive still got very good balance and throttle control etc so don't think either will be a problem. got a a few of each lined up to pick the best when hopefully in the next few days I'm ready to get one. 

1 hour ago, pjw123 said:

200 is a superb underrated bike for mr Average. 250 very good. 300 2t will still walk away with you in slow going. 300SS =UK model with slow throttle & flywheel weight. I've had all models including 300 4T Factory . IMHO 250 2t best all round. 

why did the 300 2t have no clutch or brakes :D

The factory model is preferred. More power, less weight, more bling. What is overlooked is the 3 position handlebar mounts.

2016 Factory 250, will be getting 2018 Factory 250.

The 300 has more power, but the 250 has more zip which makes it feel lighter.

Edited by lineaway

I just got one of the last 2017 300 factory bikes had a 2016 evo 250 for a few months took it back and got the factory. The factory bike is amazing worth the extra few £s much smoother but has the power when needed it also has the slow throttle just to keep it under control. It's a much lighter bike than the 250 and the forks and shock are much better, brakes also seem to be more powerful. The bike is a blast and will go up anything lots of grip too with good throttle control. Am 14.6 stone and the 300 was the right choice for me.

20170923_172101.jpg

• Like 2

Fetched the bike today and all my kit. Very impressed she's lovely. One problem though I bought some s5 bar ends and they're slightly too big for the beta bars. Are thinner diameter ends available or do you usually modify them to fit? 

IMG-20171018-WA0018.jpeg

2 hours ago, oni nou said:

Does any one ride their new trials bike these days, that bike looks like its never been out of the garage[they cost so much no one wants to get them dirty or scratched] not a scuff mark anywhere....it seems like its an excellent way of losing £1500.......if any one out there wants get rid of £1500 easily I will take it off your hands ....Dan you have got a new bike at  a secondhand price congratulations! You don't need bar ends anyway; so that's that sorted....by the time you've reached the third time you see the bike catapulting off a 6ft rock step and dropping into a jumble of rocks below you wont be bothered about stuff like that anyway.....enjoy yourself.

Lol cheers mate it is indeed like new. One old chap and still on original grips like new etc. Bar ends are fitted and I've been reading about suspension set up today.

Test riding yesterday it was very very soft just riding in the car park. 

I've wound the rear preload up 3 turns as per the manual but I have a feeling i may need a stronger spring. 

I had 105mm of sag in riding position and after the 3 turns it was at 90mm. Which I think is still too much. 1/3 of the travel is 60mm. 

Should I add a few more turns preload or get the stronger spring? There's still alot of thread left to go on the shock.

I haven't altered the forks yet.

2 hours ago, oni nou said:

Does any one ride their new trials bike these days, that bike looks like its never been out of the garage[they cost so much no one wants to get them dirty or scratched] not a scuff mark anywhere....it seems like its an excellent way of losing £1500.......if any one out there wants get rid of £1500 easily I will take it off your hands ....Dan you have got a new bike at  a secondhand price congratulations! You don't need bar ends anyway; so that's that sorted....by the time you've reached the third time you see the bike catapulting off a 6ft rock step and dropping into a jumble of rocks below you wont be bothered about stuff like that anyway.....enjoy yourself.

Lol cheers mate it is indeed like new. One old chap and still on original grips like new etc. Bar ends are fitted and I've been reading about suspension set up today.

Test riding yesterday it was very very soft just riding in the car park. 

I've wound the rear preload up 3 turns as per the manual but I have a feeling i may need a stronger spring. 

I had 105mm of sag in riding position and after the 3 turns it was at 90mm. Which I think is still too much. 1/3 of the travel is 60mm. 

Should I add a few more turns preload or get the stronger spring? There's still alot of thread left to go on the shock.

I haven't altered the forks yet.

19 minutes ago, oni nou said:

New spring costs around £80....the one you have will probably be approx. 70Nmm to suit rider weights of 80-90kg  if you weigh around 85-95kg then you can get a 75Nmm spring or 80Nmm one if you are 95kg or over.......you can wind up the spring; it will not change the spring rate by doing so  but it will change the compliance of the rear,as in the back end will be more skittish over the ground and so lead to less grip in very slippery conditions but is good for trick riding eg hopping around,also jacking up the back end steepens the steering making it more likely to tuck on tight turns but nothing that you would not get used to ;so do not be put off ......you need to experiment any way to find what suits you personally ......If it were my bike I would just wind it up abit and save the £80 quid and spend it on some spare parts .....take the bolts out of your rear mudguard and use cable ties to hold it on or when you loop it out/it goes flying off down a hillside after you bail then your mudguard will snap in half. Regards.

cheers mate ill take it to the max preload 6 turns and just ride it for now. ive done the forks tonight with full preload I have an inch and a quarter of sag so should be fine. 

I'm going to go out for a ride tomorrow locally just having a plod and do some balancing etc. cant do much yet as my shoulder isn't back upto scratch.