Yamaha Ty80b

hidie

Me and my dad recently acquired a old Ty80b, and after cleaning it up we are now stuck because we don't know what oil we should use and where to put it.  The bike needs oil for the transmission, we *think* that we need to use 80w gear oil, but we don't know.  Then their is a small oil tank that sits under the seat, and we don't know what to put in it.  We can't tell what was in it originally, but in the transmission we found ATF fluid.  I have asked around and their's no trend, so when I went to the internet everything there was also conflicting.  So if you know, or have an idea on what I should use I'd love to hear it.

Thank you.

Transmition tank.jpg

Small Oil tank.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/10/2017 at 1:48 AM, robbiesty175 said:

If the oil pump is still in working condition, two-stroke injection oil goes in the smaller, white tank. 

If the 2 stroke oil pump is not working, or disconnected, you will have to run 2 stroke mix in the tank. Probably 50 : 1.  Check pump status carefully.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2017 at 4:41 PM, b40rt said:

If the 2 stroke oil pump is not working, or disconnected, you will have to run 2 stroke mix in the tank. Probably 50 : 1.  Check pump status carefully.

Or better yet, remove the pump and tank assembly altogether.  There are several places where you can source a block off plate for the pump, then cap off the oil injection inlet on the intake manifold.  Those pumps blew oil in at something like a 30:1 ratio (when they worked) which is way too much for modern oils.  League bikes premix 60:1 with no problems, and even that is still pretty goopy. 

Congrats on your score, have fun with it.  We have fun with ours!  B)