Factory Bike Setup's

greski

Hi There / New to the Forum 

I have been searching the web for details on Pro Trials rider setups to see what You can do to modify or improve Your Trials bike / 

After searching all I can seem to find is a little information of Cabestany's Preference for an Enduro Clutch on his Sherco Factory 300 ST.

I have noticed theres a Golden Cylinder attached to the Chain Side of Cabestany's bike in pictures from various Competitions / 

Does anyone know what this is ??? I thought it might have been a special Ohlin's external Oil Shock ? Any ideas Guys n Girls ??

Also if anyone has anything to Add to this Topic or has any Pro setup questions themselves please add and hopefully the community will help us mere mortals out :)

Delighted to be a member / Hope to hear from You soon :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 21.21.25.png

As said above. It's all about the careful setup and few "trick" parts. 4-5 hours making sure your jetting is spot on is much more profitable than $1000 worth of titanium. Of course the problem with new riders is they don't know what is a good setup so they will crank their spring preload way up and run their tires too hard and crank their levers in too far and rotate their bars back...

There is a wealth of knowledge on here about setup and it's well worth digging through old posts to find the tidbits of info. Just remember the setup of your bike has to fit you and has to work in the sections you'll be riding. A bike set up for trick riding and huge splatters is going to make life miserable for a novice doing slow turns over round rocks.

• Like 2

The cylinder on the side is a reservoir for the rear shock, an ohlins engineer said its imposible to work properly without this, us mere mortals excluded.

The clutches (until changed to diaphragm) on both Shercos and betas (similar design) were not up to the techniques of the WTC so from dougies time at Beta onwards you will see the works bikes often have different casings and therefore internals.

Be careful what you wish for as I saw Cabbys fourstroke was tuned so much so it blew up in Sweeden in 08(?) in the warm up. Not quite sure how he even competed that day but thats another story of different rules for the Spanish I guess.

Regardless as above if you have a current bike set up to perfection it will be far better than you unless youre Bou.

• Like 1

The list is endless , arnau farre's gasgas has some sort of strange cooling system fitted  where as the coolant is fed through red tubes all over the machine , dabills bike has got the rear brake master cylinder back in the old position by the carb instead of the new integrated brake pedal design on the standard gasgas , raga used to run an electronic water pump on his old gasgas , the factory betas have first gear removed and various internal weights removed , like others have said us normal riders just wouldnt benefit  from any of these things ,nice to know what they get up to though ? 

• Like 1

To all the above Members /

Thank You very much for all the knowledge , Fantastic to know all of the information ( and some serious information from Dabster , Dan ,Oni Nou, Cascao ,Hgas , ) You have provided and hope someone else can benefit , The setup is crucial , I've been on a few MX bikes over the years and after learning the difference between a balanced Suspension setup and properly jetted bike compared to ( standard factory settings ) are worlds apart sometimes , I will say though the 2017 Sherco 300 ST Factory settings seemed very good right out of the box , Front Forks needed a bit more Rebound but other than that everything feels great , ,

Any advice on the Rear Ohlins Shock Setup You guys ???

I weigh Just under 11 Stone , The front Forks seem to Travel almost all the way , But Dont know if the Rear Shock is as soft as it should be for my weight ..

The Ohlins Manual I found Online is for an older Shock ..And Its not great :(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated ,

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 3:42 AM, greski said:

Any advice on the Rear Ohlins Shock Setup You guys ???

I weigh Just under 11 Stone , The front Forks seem to Travel almost all the way , But Dont know if the Rear Shock is as soft as it should be for my weight ..

The Ohlins Manual I found Online is for an older Shock ..And Its not great :(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated ,

You can find full setup instructions here

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/ohlins-rear-shock-absorber.html

Edited by klonheadd

Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit but whilst we are talking about sag ,i fitted some aftermarket h and d racing linkage plates to my Montesa, they seemvto have taken all the sag out of the back end now because they are slightly bigger, do I need to wind the spring down a bit ?

• 3 weeks later...