Oil and fuel

leosantanalg

I know the question has been asked over and over but I would like a little more details:

My bike is a 2017 GG 250. I was using full synthetic ATF. and read somewhere here that this can promote some clutch dragging due to high viscosity?? is it correct?

I have noticed that I have quite a bit of a drag lately and I already adjusted levers to the point that The "Clutch on" is farther than I would like on the release of the lever. still drags

I m working a lot on "fakies" this week, or "roll backs" whatever you call it, and my bike stalls often unless I m on Third gear. Wasn't I suppose to "fakie" even on first gear without an issue??

The clutch on my GG feels much like an ON/OFF switch, Honestly I would love a more progressive clutch. Can I achieve that simply using lower viscosity oil?

Also What's up with the fuel? I ve been using 100LL (avi gas) or a 50% mix 100LL/110 octane VP racing fuel.  I was looking on manufacture recommendations for GG and Sherco and seem that they recommend just a simple 98 high octane unleaded non ethanol. Does the low lead do any damage?  Lots of questions for the wrench master out there. Thanks guys

Silkolene Light Gear Oil, 75w80.

Lots of people run avgas in the States, it's fine, although I'd be more inclined to mix it with pump gas than VP 110. FWIW I run 110 leaded race fuel mixed 50/50 with 10% ethanol pump gas (either 87 if I'm filling up the truck at the same time or 93... it really makes no difference as the end result octane rating is still plenty high).

• Like 1

I have recently stopped using ATF because it gradually caused my Sherco's clutch to become on/off.  

I have gone back to using Putoline GP10.  Replace every 4 trials/outings.  Much more controllable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-PUTOLINE-GP10-GEAR-GEARBOX-OIL-MOTOCROSS-ENDURO-Racing-Synthetic-/192328339055?epid=2088372116&hash=item2cc7a98e6f:g:zfEAAOSwFYxZ2m1h

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, shakennstirred said:

Use the oil and fuel the manufacturer recommends.

I dont think you can even find that in the US   They recommend NiLS clutch for TX

What amazes me the most is that at GG website they have 2 manuals: Gas Gas contact 250 and Gas Gas contact 250 es.

they are same exact motor specs and everything else. Identical bikes, nonetheless they recommend fuel mixture 1.5% for one and 2% for the other. (Nils clutch for TX) for one and (Nils for gear) for the other. Seriously, I m not impressed with Gas Gas

There is no manufacturer of trials bikes that specs an oil easily accessible in the US. Honda does the ELF dance, Vertigo an ATF that doesn't exist here, etc. etc. 

Of all the trials manuals I've read through, GG's is one of the better ones. I'm not entirely sure what you're worried about in any case. Lots of people run ATF Dexron III in them, or a 75W gear oil. Take your pick of any of the good ones. This isn't something that bears a lot of worrying over.

1 hour ago, heffergm said:

There is no manufacturer of trials bikes that specs an oil easily accessible in the US. Honda does the ELF dance, Vertigo an ATF that doesn't exist here, etc. etc. 

Of all the trials manuals I've read through, GG's is one of the better ones. I'm not entirely sure what you're worried about in any case. Lots of people run ATF Dexron III in them, or a 75W gear oil. Take your pick of any of the good ones. This isn't something that bears a lot of worrying over.

How about fuel mixture ratio?  the manual says 65:1 and 50/1...  

I would agree with Silkolene light or Maxima 75 in the US for a Gas Gas, both work very well in my wife's 07 TXT Pro 125.  

I would be willing to try the ELF as it works so well in my Montesa, however it is a lot more $ and where I can get it here in the US I don't think it's worth the cost considering how well the others work.

good luck with your decision.

13 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

I dont think you can even find that in the US   They recommend NiLS clutch for TX

What amazes me the most is that at GG website they have 2 manuals: Gas Gas contact 250 and Gas Gas contact 250 es.

they are same exact motor specs and everything else. Identical bikes, nonetheless they recommend fuel mixture 1.5% for one and 2% for the other. (Nils clutch for TX) for one and (Nils for gear) for the other. Seriously, I m not impressed with Gas Gas

I did mean the type eg; 75w and not a brand

• Like 1

Just for update, I changed the ATF to the maxima MTL 75 and rode for few hours and then changed again.  At first change the MTL that is clear became pink due to residue from ATF.  Well guys, what a difference! It shifts easier and has less drag.  Noticeable more progressive clutch.  I couldn't believe what a difference a different oil can make.  I m sure that might be a better oil out there but for now I seriously recommend the Maxima MTL 75.  Thanks for the tip! 

• Like 1