290 too much for a beginner

lacey9

I'm not a novice to bikes, having raced motocross for 25 years, but am certainly completely new to Trials having never lifted a leg over a Trials bike. 

So, in my quest to find a decent second hand machine I have come across a 2009 Sherco 290 that someone local to me owns and has genuinley never used so it's as good as new. Looks great, sounds great and seems to ride fine given the short pootle up and down his driveway.

i'm very tempted as will be a genuine bargain but my concern is that it will just be too much bike for my zero Trials experience. My plan will be to practice for a few months and then enter a few club trials - i certainly have no plans for World Trials domination but just want to enjoy riding a bike and testing myself.

researching there are mixed views on larger capacity bikes - some say steer clear unless you are a pro, others say they are very useable for beginners. So can any one offer some further thoughts on 290's, specifically the Sherco? 

If it's as good as you say, then buy it. I wouldn't say it's a newbie friendly bike, they can be a bit of a handful but if it's a steal it can be tamed down. To counter that, a decent 125 will do everything on any clubman section in the country. 

• Like 2

I agree. If it's a good bargain you can always sell it on again but I have a Scorpa SR with the same motor and with 9 tooth sprocket, ignition retarded and slow throttle, all very easy to do, it's a great big softie which a beginner wouldn't struggle with.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Unlike a lot of ex mxers who come into trials i'm not of the mindset that i need a big motor, although I am a big guy as in 6'3 tall and about 14 stone so don't think i'd feel too comfortable on a 125.

as you say a few mods and it can be made a very useable machine i guess.

It's fine. I started on a 300, and I'm tiny. I actually think it helped in that I learned really quickly that good throttle and clutch control are paramount in keeping you from hurting yourself :)

If it makes you feel more comfortable the slow throttle makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, heffergm said:

It's fine. I started on a 300,

Modern day 300s are far more rideable for a novice than the older 290s, I have a 300 now and rode plenty 290s in the past, they weren't a patch on the smoothness of the newer 300s 

In general the bigger engines are more fatiguing to ride. They can be smoothed out a great deal and there is no substitute for that generous low end torque provided by a big motor. As others have said, if it's in good shape and it floats your boat jump on it.

I have a 300 Beta with carbon reeds, a low compression head and went down one tooth on the countershaft and it is very controllable but still jumps like a scalded cat when needed. You may not think it but that power that seems hard to control now will be something you rely on once you get the feel of it.

With the price your talking about I would say get it and ride it a bit, if it feels a bit hot or wares you out quickly then consider a slow throttle to start with and go from there for taming it down a bit if needed.  As a past MXer and 14 stone I would normally suggest a 250 as a good starting point if there wasn't already a good deal on a 290/300.  

And on the smaller bike side of the fence I would expect for you a 125, unless very well jetted, would feel underpowered and even if could work well you likely wouldn't keep it long before upgrading so 250+.  

Just my opinion but I would not go anywhere near a Sherco 290, I had one a few years ago and it was the most brutal and unforgiving engine I ever had the misfortune to experience. Take my advice, start on a small engine machine 125/200 and you will be riding the bike and not the other way around.

I have a 2015 Gas Gas 125 (I am 5 10 and weigh 84kg) and a 2016 TRS 250, both lovely bikes to ride and control and very capable machines in their own right. For the average club level rider a modern 125 will do everything you need engine wise and are nice and light to boot. Learn to use a small capacity engine properly and when you step up to a 250 for example you will find it easy to make the adjustment.

In my opinion there is far too much macho crap talked regarding large capacity engines, start small and work up when experience and money etc allows

Enjoy your riding and keep those feet up ))

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rav54 said:

In my opinion there is far too much macho crap talked regarding large capacity engines, start small and work up when experience and money etc allows

Said it for years, it's a cock waving exorcise clubman riders on 300s and before anyone says about me having a 300, I wanted a 250 but there were none left :rolleyes: 

Try telling anyone new to the sport that a 125 will do everything they need is like talking to the wall, I got a similar look when chatting to two guys up watching our trial last week and they were keen to start, however, I'd agree with what was said earlier, after a while most would wish to progress to a 250 soon enough. 

• Like 1