290 too much for a beginner

lacey9

I admit I have a Montesa 300RR.  The funny part to me is the progression... I started on a 125, went to an 07 4RT 250 and after 6 years my wife got me the 300 for my 40th Birthday... so it wasn't even me that picked it up.   :rotfl:

I might be biased. I started off in 1972 with an OSSA MAR 250, Yamaha 250 MAR Mk1 & 2. Montesa 123,  Bultaco 250 then finally Bultaco 350 in 1975 and in 1976 another Bultaco 350. The Bultaco 350 did all that I had ever wanted in a  bike apart from I always felt like I wanted a fast action throttle. I was just progressing to the stage where I was winning my group and perhaps on the upward ladder when I packed in to go Sidecar racing with my brother. 40 years later after not having ridden a bike of any kind, my son bought a 2006 Sherco 290 for me to ride around with him. I bought the 2000 Gas Gas 280 for the wife and myself, then her a Sherco 125 and myself a 2013 Gas Gas 250. Then myself a 2013 Jotagas 300, a 2016 Sherco 300 and finally a 2017 Sherco 300 Factory. They ALL have fast action throttles and I absolutely love the response of the motors. I am 74 this year, no expert, but I KNOW what I like and I will never change.At my age a small twist of the wrist is better than a BIG hand full of throttle to clear an obstacle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many years ago I had a Honda tl125, but the trials organisers were putting lots of long hill-climb sections in their trials, or bottomless mud sections.  So I went for a Bultaco 350 to solve that problem.     Nowadays sections are different, not so much mud about, mostly tight turns and medium sized steps.   So I have found that a Yam TY175 is mostly Ok.   It is certainly easier to start than a 300 Beta Evo, you just move the kickstart from top to bottom, which all adds to the enjoyment.

• Like 1

I know I'm down for an Ossa 300 but mostly I ride a Scorpa 163.

This is basically a trials bike with an old generator engine.

Fantastic fun and you can actually open the throttle unlike on the 300 where you ponce about in high gears just of the tickover.

Most trials about here are won by kids on 125s or worse on 80s but riders are not swayed by this fact and aspire to the big motors.

• Like 2

I'm a relative noob, I've had my bike little over a year but probably only had six months use out it due to various things (work/boring adult stuff and breaking my hand)... I bought a 2007 GG TXT Pro 250 as my first bike, I was looking for a trials bike, not many for sale out here.... this one was right place, right time, right sale through the local offroad group... seller was punting it to fund the track conversion of his R1, I also do trackdays so the bond was made.  Got a good bike, made a new friend. :)

I've got 200 and 300 EXC KTMs (old and new) as I like two strokes, no Graham Jarvis though, not even after a stroke.  Was worried it would be too much but its easy to lug around, however if you are tired (like most bikes) it can bite you / catch you out... but like the guys said above, it'll teach you fine control (or at least keep you on your toes).  If its clean you can always punt it if you cant get on with it.