Motor weight

guy53

8 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Yes Guy the TY250 TS motor is flippin' heavy. Not as heavy as an RL250 motor though. The KT250 motor is quite light in comparison.

Do you mean the silver TS based RL motor,or the later black one ? I was at a trials school with Mick Andrews today,lovely selection of bikes to look at all day... There was a silver engined Beamish,just like the one I rode back in the early 80's.I don't recall ever needing to have the motor out of it. Just one of those bikes that kept going,never went wrong,and I don't remember it feeling heavy or low.Today made me think again about finding another one, just to muddy the waters with all the other projects I have...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jon v8 said:

Do you mean the silver TS based RL motor,or the later black one ? I was at a trials school with Mick Andrews today,lovely selection of bikes to look at all day... There was a silver engined Beamish,just like the one I rode back in the early 80's.I don't recall ever needing to have the motor out of it. Just one of those bikes that kept going,never went wrong,and I don't remember it feeling heavy or low.Today made me think again about finding another one, just to muddy the waters with all the other projects I have...

Yes Jon, the silver motor. The original TS-based motor RL250 with the fragile frame is all we have over here apart from a few Beamishes that were imported privately. I've been working on one (motor-apart type of working on) and noticed that the shafts, gears and bearings are massive compared with the 250 Yamaha and 250 Kawasaki. For interest I put Sherpa T 250, TY250 and TY175 crankshafts near the Suzuki crankshaft.

The Bultaco 250 crankshaft (crank wheels, big and little end bearings, main bearings and shaft diameters) is similar sizing to the TY175.

The Suzuki RL silver motor crank is markedly bigger in all diameters compared to the TY250 and way bigger than the TY175 and Bultaco.

The Suzuki clutch basket and gearbox shafts are also massive.

Funny though how all the Japanese mid-1970 250 trials bikes weigh about the same overall. From what I can tell the KT has a light motor, heavy frame and heavy wheels, the TY250 has a heavy motor, moderate weight frame and light wheels and the RL250 has a heavy motor, light frame and moderate weight wheels.

I reckon it would take a lot of trials riding to wear out the Suzuki RL silver motor. I've only ridden a 325 black motor Beamish and it felt light to ride and had wonderful steering, but had massive flywheel effect.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2017 at 10:01 AM, feetupfun said:

Yes Jon, the silver motor. The original TS-based motor RL250 with the fragile frame is all we have over here apart from a few Beamishes that were imported privately. I've been working on one (motor-apart type of working on) and noticed that the shafts, gears and bearings are massive compared with the 250 Yamaha and 250 Kawasaki. For interest I put Sherpa T 250, TY250 and TY175 crankshafts near the Suzuki crankshaft.

The Bultaco 250 crankshaft (crank wheels, big and little end bearings, main bearings and shaft diameters) is similar sizing to the TY175.

The Suzuki RL silver motor crank is markedly bigger in all diameters compared to the TY250 and way bigger than the TY175 and Bultaco.

The Suzuki clutch basket and gearbox shafts are also massive.

Funny though how all the Japanese mid-1970 250 trials bikes weigh about the same overall. From what I can tell the KT has a light motor, heavy frame and heavy wheels, the TY250 has a heavy motor, moderate weight frame and light wheels and the RL250 has a heavy motor, light frame and moderate weight wheels.

I reckon it would take a lot of trials riding to wear out the Suzuki RL silver motor. I've only ridden a 325 black motor Beamish and it felt light to ride and had wonderful steering, but had massive flywheel effect.

Blimey David ! You have spent some time in the workshop,I doubt anyone else has gone to that much trouble. So it looks like a KT250 engine in a Yam frame could be a good mix.Another project ?

• Like 2

Yes Jon. I think I've even measured it up (KT motor in TY250 frame), but motivation to do such a thing is low because it is then neither fish nor fowl.

I've also briefly tried a TY250 front end on a KT, but again it then isn't a KT any more and if I want to ride a bike that steers like a TY, I just ride a TY.

I see your point David,I just like thinking about all the possibilities,the only one I ever did with a trials bike was to put an XT225 engine into a TY175 frame.Its lots of workshop time,especially when I have so many other projects on the go.(As I'm sure you have ! )

• Like 1

I have a friend who is going to attempt the marriage of two other Japanese makes this winter for a custom trials bike.

A Hodaka 125 Wombat frame and a XR100 motor.It will be interesting to see if it works and if it has enough power to be fun.