Cota 247 Fuel Tank... What are the options?

riffraffretro

I've done a fair bit of searching about here on TC and via Google, but can't seem to unearth a definitive answer.

My 247's fuel tank (21M frame number) needs attention: various bubbles in the gel coat, with a dodgy underside repair that doesn't look like it'll run the distance (it's 100% fibreglass and not the UK market alloy/fibreglass version). I was hoping to source a UK tank (alloy/fibreglass), as that appears (to my mind at least), to be the better option, but I cannot find anything available, anywhere! Anyone know of a supply? I guess the next best option would be to repair and seal the existing tank - anyone able to recommend a product that can be relied upon to actually do the job, keeping the ravages of ethanol and whatever else constitutes modern unleaded at bay - peeking down the filler neck of mine reveals a silver/grey coloured flaky/wrinkly looking deposit inside, which I'm assuming is from a previous repair attempt?

... Or, has anyone used a tank off of a different bike successfully, modified suitably for the 247? I see that Bultaco alloy tanks are readily available and wonder if there's something similar to the 247's tank out there that could re-purposed... without requiring the fabrication skills of a F1 engineer!

Thanks for any pointers.

Edited by riffraffretro

I'll be facing a similar problem on mine when I get to the tank. Plan A is to remove the damaged bottom of the tank section and glass in a new section. Plan B is to remove the bottom altogether and fit a smaller aluminium tank, then fit the original as a cover over it. Probably have to do something with the filler, but it would retain the original look and seat mount.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

www.allensusedtrialsspares.co.uk

I'll look into that, thanks!  :thumbup:

I just learned of a guy that does custom oil tanks for Harley choppers from a buddy in Roswell.  I may talk to him and see if he would be willing to fab up a tank, then mod mine to fit over it. 

Edited by brewtus
Chopper tank

9 hours ago, oldaz said:

I'll be facing a similar problem on mine when I get to the tank. Plan A is to remove the damaged bottom of the tank section and glass in a new section. Plan B is to remove the bottom altogether and fit a smaller aluminium tank, then fit the original as a cover over it. Probably have to do something with the filler, but it would retain the original look and seat mount.

The benefit of this method is the alloy tank you make can be quite rough. 

• Like 1