Can’t believe I’m asking this, front wheel on 01 rev3?

gavin

I’ve just bought an 01bike that’s not seen much maintenance, but good grief I can’t even get the front wheel off. I’ve looked on here and google, I’ve looked for a beta parts list but only later bikes, so nothing. just wanted to check I’m not being stupid.

I’ve slackened and removed the pinch bolts on the non disc fork leg, non on the disc leg.

am I right that the 4mm Allen cap on the disc is them removed and the spindle tapped out?

i ask because the cap is totally solid and Not helped by the Allen showing signs of being nicely rounded off in the past. I’ve tried tapping it to jar the threads, it’s not soaking in release fluid, and my next thought is to apply heat. 

I can’t see that it’s a tap out as is without removing the cap but thought I’d check.

as I say, really can’t believe I’m asking how to remove a wheel.

First off does it have USD forks or slider-at bottom forks?

My memory is telling me that on slider-at-bottom forks, you loosen the clamp bolts at the head end of the axle and unscrew the axle. The axle has a socket hex head (maybe 12mm hex) at one end and the other end has a male thread that screws into the fork slider

If I understand correctly, you're trying to detach the disc from the wheel? If so, that's not necessary. You need to unbolt the brake caliper from the fork leg, slide the caliper off the disc then go ahead with removing the wheel spindle, having slackened the pinch bolts. You'll probably have to give the spindle a firm tap to get it moving.

I

Edited by cleanorbust

I own a 2001.  The part of your post referring to a 4mm allen key is confusing.

Remove disk guard - if fitted.

Completely slack off the pinch bolts on the RHS.

Use a 10mm allen key to unscrew the axle from the RHS until it just turns without unscrewing.

Tap the axle from the LHS - I usually use the 10mm allen key and my hand to push the shaft out.

YouTube was my downfall, a vid on a gasgas wheel removal was what threw me as they removed a cap.

anyhow all sorted now, it didn’t help that the thread was dust dry and pretty seized but I looked at it over a cup of tea and then it all came apart nicely. And yes large Allen and unscrew.

On 26/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, cleanorbust said:

Simple stuff really, and now you'll know for next time.

Rear wheel next?

Fortunately the rear has a nice obvious ‘tell tale’, a big nut! : )

the rear wheel out is next on the list though, I want to do the bearings but more so get to the swing arm so I can go over it and give it a service as judging from what I’ve sorted so far my guess is that the bike was bought 10 years ago from a dealer and run a bit but never serviced again.

But before then just the small matter of my first trial in maybe 30 years this morning, with a total of 15mins practice riding figure 8s in a flat field. What can possibly go wrong!!

well the trial didn’t quite go to plan.

got the bike out in the morning, freshly fuelled, and it wouldn’t start. 20mins later, after fiddling with plugs and even trying to bump start, I got it to fire and the second it did a stroppy woman with a horse appeared in the lane and insisted I turn it off as her horse was scared.

Managed then to get it running again easily and got to the trial just as it was starting, and when I found my first section I seriously thought I’d bitten off way more than I could chew especially as I literally had ridden the bike only for a few mins on the flat. But anyhow gave it a go and was stoked to get round with a 3. After that I was really looking forward to the next section, decided to concentrate on just making them in 3s with strategic dabs rather than trying to score lower and it went well.

but then the bike started playing up and died on me. I got it going again reasonably easily but it died again on the next section and after more starting and then the bike dying continually decided to retire.

Havnt had a chance to strip the carb yet but I think it’s a fuel supply prob and maybe the floats sticking and not allowing a constant level of fuel in the bowl, possibly some old crud was dislodged when I sprayed carb cleaner and air to clean it. When it runs it pulls beautifully so I don’t think it’s jets etc. The bike had been sat unused for a good few years and had just had fresh fuel in and started before I bought it.

I’m going to order an ultrasonic cleaner and do a proper clean, also needs a new pipe from the air box as I found that had split and I’d done a bodge repair to get me to the trial. And maybe an odd one but I read a thread about the same prob and it was the kill switch so for 8quid I’ll pop a new one on too. But anyhow if I try those easy ones first at least I’ll be able to see if it’s sorted and if not I’ll be posting for help on here soon.

Bike issues asides, after thinking I’d made a mistake I really enjoyed the ride and I can’t wait to get the bike sorted for a proper try at the next trial.