opinion

traf

Returning to this site after long time,but same bike lingers in same barn, Norman B4/Villiers 8e moded somewhat. What I need is a running proper trials bike. My nostalgic favourites appear to be Montesa Cota 247, or as I never got to buy one in the day,a Fantic 200,though I have not ridden one of these. My local French club keep asking when will i roll . I've seen latter for not a lot of money, any opinions? Thanks.

Fantic 200 was a Game changer back in the day. Succeeded by the Fantic 240 which was even better. Apologies for name dropping, but had an ex Rob Edwards 250 Mont  & went straight on to an ex Jack Galloway Fantic 200. Wished I still had them. (hindsight such a wonderful thing.) Night & day.  Fantic 200/240 are/were Best twinshockers out of the box bar none. Happy days.

• Like 1

Bill Pye has a good supply of spares & is an acknowledged expert on the marque. Bob Wright also well known. Shedworks also have a good range of items. There's a fair amount of stuff out there. These were really well made bikes, so ownership should be straightforward.     

Out of interest where are you in France.  They do come up on sites here, but according to the French Fantic owners club, a lot of 200's are being bought and heading across the Channel to the Uk. That is the bike for you..

Hi, normally I'm in department 16, Charente. A group called Seventies trial16 exists,a friendly bunch. There's also a testing ground at Angouleme run by MCA, motorcyclists club angoulaises. You may be right about exports,but French have quite a few machines and Spain is just down the road. One thing I did note was price of things like Fantic piston prices,are such as Montesa's the same? Anyway its going to be more than a Villiers dykes piston at £12. Thanks

I know the boys from Angouleme,   Francois Mapinard and Pepeto, I have ridden in several of their  trials and they come to mine in Sarlat.  They are indeed a good bunch and ride out every Sunday.  They have a real mix of bikes there, but a Fantic is still a very good and possibly the best option.  I am a little way from you but you are welcome to come and try my little 200 Fantic before you make a decision.