Replacing HT lead

misterroy

Hi, I had an intermittent fault, which I have fixed by making the fault permanent .

I have just got a 2006 Sherco 290 and the HT Lead had electricians tape on it. Sometimes while out it would not start, even when warm, then it would. I figured it was the HT lead. 

I took the old one off and sure enough it had been patched up. 

I had read that with patience the Lead can be dug out at the CDi unit to reveal a spike.  I dug in about 10 mm and did not see a spike. Plenty of copper, so I bared some wire on the new HT Lead and pushed it in, securing it with tape. No Spark.

How far in do I have to dig to find the spike?

this is the one I have

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/sherco-07-c-d-i-box-leonelli-short-cable.html

thanks

Yesterday I made it down 10mm and saw no sign of a spike.

Today I turned down a piece of steel to fit in where the cable went and drilled it out , M3, and cut a rudimentary tooth in the end.

Put my home made bit in a power drill and went down to 17mm from the top of the fitment in stages.

7mm of spike was visible.

The was some white polished looking plastic at the bottom so I did not go further.

It is now sitting in the shed with some silicone gasket holding the cable and the cover in place. 

Tomorrow I will put it back on and see if there is a spark again.

• Like 1

the silicone gasket was a bad move,it did not set, it is not supposed to. I cleaned it off and used some general kitchen silicone to glue the bits together.

Started the bike tonight, running better.

Now to fix the other things it needs.